Possible Easy Fix for stuttering Xvid or Avi
Don't know if this is something everybody knows and i am behind..but on certain ac3 or xvid avi i was getting audio stuttering and a little on the video. I found that under configure the system, audio settings if you simply just enable a dolby ac3 receiver it fixes all those problems. I havent noticed any difference in the sound...i do not own any dolby receivers so i couldn't tell anyway. But it sounds to me like it did before, except with none of the stuttering.
Can you post the MediaInfo for one of the files this helps with? It would be interesting if this helped and the file didn't even have an ac3 track.
Hmmm.

You've told xbmc to passthrough the ac3 track to an external device. Without this selected xbmc has to use CPU (remember, xvid is not hardware decoded) to convert to mp3 for output.

This is why you're seeing less stuttering now.

Of course, this is just my view, not necessarily endorsed by those that actually know stuff Wink

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Yeah nearly what cranial said. Though its not converted into mp3 - but its downmixed into a stereo signal which hits CPU.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yeah, but who puts ac3 audio tracks in an avi file? And it's going to his tv. Do TV's typically have the ability to decode ac3? We already have the strange 16-bit and optical/coax fixes for video stuttering that don't make sense, so maybe it's another abnormality like that?
yeah most tvs can decode ac3 - that optical coax thing is a strange thing ... i talked to gimli who told me that this setting doesn't do anything on atv2 (cause output can't be controlled with the api we use...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
some of the files it worked on were Thomas and friends day of the diesels...it was avi format with ac3 sound...looks like a bluray to me. The descendants which was also avi in xvid format. I'm trying to remember because most of the ones that didnt work i just went and converted to mkv format. But it was almost all avi's that were in xvid codec. A lot of disney stuff that isnt out on blu ray yet. it fixed everything, but there was a little bit of buffering at first now its gone too...dont know if i found a loop hole but like i said before i havent notice the sound coming out of my tv being any different since it thinks there is a dolby receiver.

and i turned it off just to see if it was a glitch...but as soon as i turn it off the stuttering comes back every 2 to 3 seconds and doesnt go away...
Ned Scott Wrote:Can you post the MediaInfo for one of the files this helps with? It would be interesting if this helped and the file didn't even have an ac3 track.

i'll get back to you on that one, i have 2 kids under the age of 2 and sometimes its days before i can actually fool around with technical stuff that doesnt involve making train sounds and farting noises.
By activating the ac3 option you just move the downmixing work out to the tv. Its right then that you don't here a difference ...
Memphiz Wrote:yeah most tvs can decode ac3 - that optical coax thing is a strange thing ... i talked to gimli who told me that this setting doesn't do anything on atv2 (cause output can't be controlled with the api we use...)

Really? I figured it would be something the TV manufacturers wouldn't bother with since TVs just have two internal speakers. Learn something new every day, I guess.

The optical thing really is strange. Maybe that API is taking some processing power in its futile attempts to change something that it can't.
Ned Scott Wrote:Really? I figured it would be something the TV manufacturers wouldn't bother with since TVs just have two internal speakers. Learn something new every day, I guess.

The optical thing really is strange. Maybe that API is taking some processing power in its futile attempts to change something that it can't.

Well at least my lg tv can do it. It just downmixes AC3 to stereo. But it can't decode DTS because of licensing issues (thats common for TVs too imho).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible Easy Fix for stuttering Xvid or Avi0