[Windows] Time for a 64 bit version?
I'm hoping we can soon get dev support for a 64bit version of XBMC.

The first question many will ask is, why Smile

The answer is, performance...
64bit apps can be 2 to 6 times faster, than the 32bit version, when running on a 64bit OS.

Note: this has nothing to do with being able to address more RAM in 64bit.

This is especially true for math intensive applications... which I'm guessing, the GUI for XBMC is fairly math intensive with animations, gfx, etc. As the skins have become more complex, they have also slowed down noticeably - especially on lower-powered CPUs.

Read more on 64bit vs 32bit testing here...
http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3348

Again... I hope a dev will look into this as it could move XBMC to the next level of performance.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:The answer is, performance...
64bit apps can be 2 to 6 times faster, than the 32bit version, when running on a 64bit OS.

Bunk Smile Please try actually reading the URLs you post instead of leaping to a silly conclusions.

"What we found at the time was that a 64bit CPU, running a 64bit O/S, executing 64bit code could in some cases be twice as quick as 32bit code."

" In PerformanceTest V7 some CPUs now get up to 4 - 6 times the performance in 64bit integer maths, compared to 32bit."

The article talks about the speed up in '64-bit integer math", now if all xbmc code only consisted of 64-bit integer math, that might be true, however, at best you are looking at maybe 10 percent of the code.
Livin Wrote:I'm hoping we can soon get dev support for a 64bit version of XBMC.

Again... I hope a dev will look into this as it could move XBMC to the next level of performance.

A 64bit compile would depend mainly on the dependent libraries being 64bit compatible. (Which they invariably often aren't)

But any performance gains would be completely minimal and not even slightly noticeable IMO, despite the crud written in the included link. It certainly shouldn't be a priority considering how many things would make a difference to performance in XBMC. A 64bit version would also use twice the memory to do the same thing it does now... Smile
With the statement I made I did say 'can be' and also that it mainly affected computations (math). But I will give you, I could have said it better/clearer.

What is most interesting in the test results...

Addition of two 32bit numbers
Subtraction of two 32bit numbers
Multiplication of two 32bit numbers
Division of two 32bit numbers
... These first four operations are unsurprisingly executed in the same way and at the speed on a 32bit machine and a 64bit machine.

Addition of two 64bit numbers
Subtraction of two 64bit numbers
Multiplication of two 64bit numbers
Division of two 64bit numbers
... These second four 64bit operations are executed at a much quicker speed on a 64bit machine.

So, if I read it correctly, if XBMC is using 64bit numbers the number crunching could be much faster than the 32bit equal.

... admittedly, I don't know how much XBMC does this - or would do this given a 64bit compile.

I'm don't know how many XBMC libraries are 64bit or what it would take to get them there. I did assume much of the code, if compiling for Windows platform, would be Microsoft libraries and many would be 64bit... especially the ones pertaining to GUI - which I suspected would be math/computationally intensive and benefit most from the 64bit speed gains?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
We don't calculate much with 64bit numbers. Thats a fact.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Livin Wrote:I'm don't know how many XBMC libraries are 64bit or what it would take to get them there. I did assume much of the code, if compiling for Windows platform, would be Microsoft libraries and many would be 64bit... especially the ones pertaining to GUI - which I suspected would be math/computationally intensive and benefit most from the 64bit speed gains?

Wrong. We use precompiled third party libs which often aren't available in 64bit. Additionally the root of most libs are Linux/Unix and those are compiled via mingw and there aren't many M$ libs which would help.
Dunno what happens if we would have a XBMC 64 bit binary which loads 32bit dlls (does it even work?).
I won't start which such a task but any dev is invited to do so.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
doubt there is a official mingw64 is it?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
WiSo Wrote:Dunno what happens if we would have a XBMC 64 bit binary which loads 32bit dlls (does it even work?).

The linker would simply refuse to load it, you can only load dll's compiled for the same cpu architecture.
(2012-02-01, 23:39)Memphiz Wrote: doubt there is a official mingw64 is it?

There is, and has been for a long time.
mingw-w64.sourceforge.net

They offer 64- and 32-bit native and cross compilers. Most common libraries have been fixed to work on 64-bit Windows. Please contact their public mailing list if you are still interested in getting a Windows x64 build of XBMC. I can help, and am subscribed to their mailing list.

Thanks!
So with there being a *nix 64-bit and more recently OSX 64-bit version, is a Windows 64-bit compile (more of) a possibility these days?
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
Check http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145172 for the work being done.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Awesome - thanks for the link!
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
(2012-02-01, 05:20)Livin Wrote: 64bit apps can be 2 to 6 times faster, than the 32bit version, when running on a 64bit OS.

If you want it faster, couldn't you just use fast forward? Tongue
Seriously, even Mozilla gave up on a 64bit Firefox because the pain involved is just not worth it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Time for a 64 bit version?1