Suggestions for HTPC choice
Question 
Hello everyone.
I am a new user and have thus done my best to read all stickies and gather information before I post my question. However, the fact that I can not try all the possible solutions before buying makes it much better to ask for actual experiences from you guys before buying a system.

I am looking for advice on what htpc or other system I should buy given my specifications.

Here is my spec sheet:
  • I want to stream wirelessly from a NAS to HTPC/MediaPlayer with XBMC installed, connected with HDMI to HDTV.
  • Must support “all” file formats (does ATV2 does this?) and preferably stream 1080p
  • Need a silent system. This is important as the system will be in my living room.
  • Prefer prebuilt, but can build myself too.
  • Money no objection, but obviously prefer cheapest option for similar specs.

After searching through information here I have gathered these questions, but would really appreciate any other suggestions for system setup you may have.

1. Is dlink boxee box or iomega boxee a realistic competitor to an xbmc solution? Will both do what I request above and it is thus a matter of preference with regards to looks/theme and addins/plugins support?
  2. Do you need Broadcom Crystal HD for ATV2 or is this solution only for ATV1?
  3. I take it ATV2 does not support 1080p?
  4. I need recommendations for Zotac system option (so many to choose from)? Both with and without bluray preferably. Nano versions any good?
  5. Is the Asrock vision 3D noisy? Does it work with any 3D TV + 3D movie?
  6. Is the Acer Revo any good or is that the reason it is not included in any suggestions?
  7. And finally: Given my spec sheet. What would you do?

Thank you in advance for any and all good responses, and I truly hope I have followed forum rules. Let me know if not.
1080p and wireless are like oil and water...
Kirky99:
Would my specs be easier to achieve if I did not depend on 1080p wireless streaming?
I.E. My setup could store and stream everything wirelessly from the NAS, except 1080p content, which would be stored on the actual HTPC. A bit more hassle, but maybe worth it?
So far I never had problems streaming 1080p@20MBit/s from PC/Samba to my Samsung TV. It mostly depends on the capabilities of your wireless network. The maximum measured bandwidth of mine is 100-150 MBit/s using Dlink DIR-645 and DWA-140 with a distance of ~8m.

However, I am also looking for a HTPC fulfilling the requirements you listed. Most interested I am in in BluRay ISO and BluRay 3D ISO playback since the mainstream low-cost external media players nowadays can play everything except those ones.
I'd still run a wire wherever possible. I'm sometimes able to stream HD content wirelessly, sometimes not. I wouldn't go ahead and seperate 1080p content from the NAS, seems like more hassle than it's worth, although possible.

Don't you lose silence once you put a spinner in the HTPC though to hold 1080p content?

There are alternatives to actually running Cat6 to the HTPC if you as serious about the money no object statement. YoOu can use powerlines possibly and there are devices that will allow you to network over COAX. .
Also have a look at the new Xtreamer media players. The not yet released Xtreamer Ultra 2 can run with XBMC on either Windows and Linux. The cheaper models are sold for around €99 or €150 and can play all the formats, too. Even Blu-Ray 3D ISOs. I might go for one of these...
henmad Wrote:Kirky99:
Would my specs be easier to achieve if I did not depend on 1080p wireless streaming?
I.E. My setup could store and stream everything wirelessly from the NAS, except 1080p content, which would be stored on the actual HTPC. A bit more hassle, but maybe worth it?
1080P video and DTS-HD/TrueHD audio over wireless is not recommended. You might be able to get away with expensive and proper wireless system (wireless router and wireless bridge).
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
duwi2mex Wrote:Also have a look at the new Xtreamer media players. The not yet released Xtreamer Ultra 2 can run with XBMC on either Windows and Linux. The cheaper models are sold for around €99 or €150 and can play all the formats, too. Even Blu-Ray 3D ISOs. I might go for one of these...
That is what they always said in their spec-----I returned my Xtreamer sidewinder due to DTS-HD/TrueHD audio dropout issues. I hope that they fix this issue!

I built several HTPC's, and I'm very happier with it than media player!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for good responses so far. Anyone can comment on the questions in the first post?

In summary, this is how I think the HTPC market looks like currently:
Top tier: Asrock Vision 3D, Tranquil ixL, Acer Aspire Revo RL100 3D
Second tier: ZBOX, (Boxee), ATV2

Is this roughly correct? Frankly, if an ATV2 or zbox can do what I mentioned in the first post then it would be worth the saved money. Is this so?
3D, 1080p wireless streaming and perhaps even bluray drive are things I can live without.

btw: Xtreamer ultra 2 stats seems impressive. Top tier material perhaps?
To answer your questions #1, #3 and #7 (the ones I have 1st or 2nd hand reliable info about):
#1 - dlink boxee box: very restricted for my taste, and a friend of mine had continuous crashes and returned it. I prefer an open platform AND software that allows me to grow anyway I may need later. For instance I am also now running an Asterisk PBX on my HTPC...
#3 - ATV2 does NOT support 1080p. But if you can live with 720p, it's the most cost-effective XBMC solution you can find (other than stealing Smile ).
#7 - Your spec sheet is very similar to mine, and I finally decided to build my own. I was just not that picky with silence, so I used relatively decent components, and I can hear a fan whisper if the TV is not on. But as soon as I start watching, it's perfect. Under $400, but maybe more if you put a fanless PSU, etc.

Also, I agree with this:
Kirky99 Wrote:1080p and wireless are like oil and water...
Please run a cable... I know what I'm talking about... I work in telecommunications and wireless is just not dependable...

Finally read my XBMC story here and then look at the hardware specs of that build at the beginning of the thread. Highly recommendable.
Thanks for the response jackh. Very helpful.

I have done additional research and everything seems to be pointing towards that Xtreamer Ultra 2 will do the trick: http://www.xtreamer.net/2012/xtreamer-ultra2.html
The stats seems to be just what I need and the price is good. However, its not released yet so I have no idea if it works as advertised. A big plus that they are shipping it with openelec xbmc already installed. Nice touch, and must mean that they have tested extensively with xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggestions for HTPC choice0