[WINDOWS] Stuttering and Realtek 8xxx Gigabit PCIe/onboard cards
I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else.

I have 5 xbmc systems ranging from embedded Ion systems to Win 7 PCs here working flawlessly. Interconnect is generally via Gigabit ethernet or wireless N from a custom built PC server running FreeBSD with a RAIDZ disk array in. They are all smooth as anything. The server is very fast too, managing sustained 107Mbyte/sec write performance over the gigabit network

I decided to run Eden on my main PC that never gets used for media playback. This is an overclocked i7-2600K with 16G memory and a GTS450 in it as well as a Realtek 8111 onboard LAN module. Result: stuttering playback. In addition, my file copy rates dropped - sometimes slowing to < 1MByte/sec. Bringing up the onscreen CodecInfo showed the buffer taking an age to fill (it should be instantaneous).

A LOT of headscratching later - including trying the auto-search for a better driver - I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek and installed. Result: instant smooth playback and sustained copy rates.

Always worth upgrading your drivers to the latest version especially as the Realtek 8xxx series are popular on boards and Win 7 thought the driver was up to date (it was from April last year).

Hope it helps someone Smile
This fixed my problem!! OMG, thank you. Wasted half a Saturday diagnosing router, switch, cables, and file servers attempting to find the problem. I'm guessing Wind-ohs updates put a crappy lan driver in recently and manually updating it fixed the issue.

P.S. if you are following my posts on the CrystalHD thread, this was an unrelated issue on a different machine
Hehe.. Sounds you had a day or two like mine earlier in the week....
This is why I don't let Windows decide what the "best" drivers are for my system. I had issues before with Realtek-Cisco connections and Realtek-Intel connections, and they always get solved by finding the latest drivers from the manufacturer (in this case, Realtek).

Thanks for posting this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Stuttering and Realtek 8xxx Gigabit PCIe/onboard cards0