Android remote - connect via ip:port but not hostname:port
Hi guys. Fresh meat here Smile

I'm becoming very fond of xbmc, and after discovering the android remote, this has become this best thing since sliced bread. But, i do have one issue;

I'm unable to connect when entering my hostname : port in the remote or other computers in my home network, but using ip : port works fine on all the computers in the network.

I cannot run locked down IP, as i carry my laptop(XBMC Host) anywhere, and I'm on several different wifis during the day, and every other day, it changes IP here in my home network. I also cannot access router settings as they are locked by my ISP, so only reliable option is the hostname way.

Think it would also be a good idea to tell you, that i CAN access my xbmc host on hostname : port on the host itself.

Windows firewall disabled, also tried disabling AVG resident shield. Running Win7 with XBMC 10.1
Hey, welcome to the forums. Agree with you - the Android remote in like fine icing on sweet cake. That said, same issue here, and there's other threads about it with no solution.

Think this just has to be marked as "not working". And yeah, it would be very handy for those using non-static IPs.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Hey, welcome to the forums. Agree with you - the Android remote in like fine icing on sweet cake. That said, same issue here, and there's other threads about it with no solution.

Think this just has to be marked as "not working". And yeah, it would be very handy for those using non-static IPs.

Ah dangit, i thought it was just me being an idiot with the settings.

But how about the issues i'm having with the hostname : port on the other computers in the same network? Only computer being able to access hostname : port is the hostcomputer itself
Not sure on that bud - maybe a wider google search? That would have more to do with general network settings. Sorry, not really my area of expertise.

Maybe someone else can pipe up?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
For your android phone to be able to resolve a host name it will need a DNS server that has a record for that name. The phone is probably getting it's address from the DHCP server on your router, and that will be your ISP's DNS.

If you have a NAS that may be able to run DHCP and DNS servers. Without some form of local DNS server you're stuck.

JR
You should be able to make an entry in your hosts file on each computer if you don't want to mess around with DNS. Note that if the IP of your XBMC computer changes you will lose this functionality, so you should make sure that the XBMC computer has a static IP address.
not sure if this is the same or not, but why cant I store two hosts on the android remote? I set one with one ip address and one with another ip address and all I end up with is socket timeouts every few seconds. as soon as delete one host profile on the remote, it works fine. But it would be nice to have two so when I switch between wired and wireless internet access, I don't have to change the ip address on the remote. usually i just use wireless on the computer, but when I need to stream from the wifes computer, i need it wired for the throughput.
just setup a free dynamic dns account with freedns.afraid.org, put dd-wrt on your router/install client on pc, setup ddns account, bing bang boom your in business.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android remote - connect via ip:port but not hostname:port0