Apple TV 1 - Skipping during playback - Will Broadcom CrystalHD fix?
Sad 
I'm an Apple TV noob so bear with me.

I picked up an Apple TV1 160GB recently and just had a chance to test it.

The configuration is Software Version 3.0.2. TV Resolution is set at 720p HD in settings. (my TV is 1080P)

It has XBMC Launcher, Boxee Launcher (as well as Nito?).

Anyway, when I go into XBMC from the launcher and play a video, 720p/x264/aac, it plays normally, but playback stutters/freezes for a second then continues on intermittently. It happens probably 4-7 times every 10 seconds, so roughly every other second. Obviously this is unwatchable.
Edit: While watching the test video, it is much more frequent when there is a lot of movement on the screen, and doesn't seem to skip when there are just people talking and the camera switching angles. So it looks totally fine when not stressed, the video card will likely fix, yes?

Would installing the Broadcom CrystalHD fix the stuttering? How about one of the USB cooling mats? Anything else I should consider like Linux install then XBMC?

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to take another look at it this weekend.

--J
I'm pretty sure the Broadcom crystal HD will solve this.

These guys are trusted and this is the newer card:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Thanks. I already have the 970012 so I'll probably just install it this weekend.

Should I wipe this thing and install Linux? Or is there no difference with the loader on ATV? I was worried that there might be some overhead from the OS 3.0.2.

Edit: Nevermind... I see this from the xbmc.org wiki page I have open:
Quote:Which OS to install?

To be blunt: Use the Linux-based OS option. Crystalbuntu is probably the easiest one out there right now. It might sound scary, but unless you still use some of the original features on the ATV OS, you will be MUCH happier using the linux-os version. Under a Linux-based OS the Apple TV 1 has more power to give to XBMC (due to various technical reasons) which will make XBMC much faster, and has greater support going into the future. It's also the only option if you want to have full 1080P output (Original ATV OS only does 720, which is then upscaled to 1080).
Cool. Let me know how it goes. I had a line on a ATV1 on craigslist for $50, but it sold. I already ordered and received the 970012 from Ebay for $18. Some people here on this forum suggested the 970015 would be much better, so I'm curious how the 970012 works out for you. As soon as I see a good deal on another ATV1, I'll be doing exactly what you just quoted from the wiki.

Keep me posted!!

Big Grin
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
I'll let you know, I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

I ended up getting mine from the 'bay, 160gb for $99. It works well so far, as the unit is displaying only 7hrs of run time. (if that built-in timer is to be believed...)

I left it on overnight and played test videos in the morning to make sure it didn't have any overheating issues prompting a sale, and it was fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1 - Skipping during playback - Will Broadcom CrystalHD fix?0