no 5.1 with XBMC
Hi everyone
i started recently using XBMC and i'm quite satisfied. Only problem is that i cannot play 5.1 audio. I have an eeebox EB1501 with windows 7 connected through HDMI to the Home theater Onkyo HT-R380. The home theater is then connected through its HDMI out to the TV.
Playing a MKV file with VLC result in a 5.1 experience (even if the video lag terribly and i still didn't understand the reason): all the speakers work without any problem. I suppose that the settings of XBMC are the problem.
I tried to change
1)Audio autput to Optical/Coax, HDMI, or analogue
2)speaker configuration to 5.1
3)The audio output device to HT-R380 or Realtek digital output
In some thread is mentioned a "passthrough" option but i couldn't find it anywhere.
I suppose it is a very stupid setting and i would be glad if anyone can help
Thanks for your help and have a nice week-end
anyone has any suggestion? i'm seraching in the forum but i cannot find the answer....
I found this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83912

Have you tried setting the Windows mixer to stereo output?
Go to the speaker icon in the lower right of the task bar. Right-click to bring up a small menu - select playback devices. Set your default to HDMI or high-definition or whatever the driver calls it's HDMI output.

Select configure - 5.1 speakers and click test.

If that plays, as it should connected via HDMI, click ok. From the same playback devices page click properties. Go to supported formats - if DD and DTS are listed great. Go to the advanced tab and select a default output format that your card supports.

I would leave the "Give applications exclusive use" blah blah and the next checkbox unselected until you understand what Exclusive mode is.

Go back to XBMC System>Settings>System>Audio and select HDMI, 5.1. If you saw DD and DTS in the formats (remember above?) then select those. Make sure the exclusive mode is off and the driver is the same as listed in the Windows playback device list.

That should be it.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no 5.1 with XBMC0