Speakers crackle at low volume stream areas (AC3 Stereo only - XBMC Dharma)
Hi,

I recently stumbled upon an odd problem concerning mkv files that contain an AC3 Stereo audio layer ("Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo" for instance).
Every time there is an almost silent scene, my speakers crackle (almost sounds like the audio stream broke down), remain completely silent,
until something happens again (audio wise). The audio stream is then being broadcasted perfectly fine, until there is a very low volume scene
once again, introduced by another crackle.
Sometimes, those "hard fades" occur 4-5 times in 2 seconds, which makes them quite annoying.
My audio is being streamed directly over HDMI.

I then reproduced that behavior with Media Player Classic without a hassle.
After some digging, I found out that once I enabled the AC3 (S/PDIF encode mode) within the ffdshow Audio Decoder Properties,
the crackling stopped and my mkv files played fine within MPC.
Trying to get ffdshow working with XBMC, I installed the DSPlayer Version of XBMC Eden (I still used Dharma until that point).
After several xml-config changes, my "crackling affected" mkv-files played fine.
Unfortunately, everything else seems halfway broken now.
Video files with an AAC audio layer crackle 4 times every second, XBMC hangs itself up after starting a video file, etc.

I now rolled back to my old version of XBMC Dharma and am wondering, if there was any other way to get rid of that annoying crackling with that one type of mkv-files.

My Setup:
GPU: AMD 6450HD (also happens with my Nvidia GTX 570)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509

I already tried every option within my AVR's menu and the XBMC system settings without luck.
Could it be, that my receiver can't handle those low volume AC3 audio stream spots and stops streaming, because they are too low to be
recognized as actual AC3 stream (this only affects stereo AC3 streams though)?

Did anyone happen to have a similar problem and was able to fix it, without messing up everything else? :confused2:
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I also get a crackle.. Pretty sure it started happening with Eden. Thinking about going back to Dharma.
I also get crackling with AC3 stereo in mkvs, but not in silent parts, rather in parts with loud sound, like a car chase scene or music. The same files play fine in VLC on my system, so its not my speakers or computer itself. Win7 64 bit, Eden RC2
You guys might want to compare what ripping software you're using - sounds like the only thing that might be common between you.

I've never had that: Win7 x64, HD6450, Dharma thru to Eden RC2, HDMI out to a Denon Receiver.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Have the same problem as sickyd during the changes to loud sounds; but, this only occurs on bluray rips to AC3. DVD rips are fine. The same files play fine in PowerDVD10 and WMP. This is not new to Eden, however. The same was occuring with Darmah.

I use DVDfab for ripping, and, have found ripping with an audio copy setup cures the crackle.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speakers crackle at low volume stream areas (AC3 Stereo only - XBMC Dharma)0