Support for Full 3D via HDMI 1.4a (Frame Packing)
Hi there,

just wanted to ask if there is a chance that XBMC will someday support full 3D pictures via HDMI as defined in the HDMI 1.4a standard..?

Since there are more and more graphic cards that support Full 3D format via HDMI (http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html) it would be great if XBMC could play those.

BTW: I am NOT talking of half side-by-side which is not more than a normal movie to XBMC... This stuff is 'decoded' by your 3D TV to show 2 different pictures. But you loose half of the picture information. Thats why Full SBS pictures via HDMI 1.4a would be a great feature! :-)
Maybe someone who knows can provide more information on this topic. As someone here said there is already software for linux that can output full HD 3D...
+1. Getting a 3dtv and would rather not fuss with external players to get full Res 3d playback.
first we need support in linux kernel or osx or windows for them to switch to such a mode.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means a pro but isn't this a matter of driver support? (of course, assuming that you graphics card can do HDMI 1.4a) On Windows I can enter frame Packing mode with something like "test 3D" in the nvidia settings.
Yes I think on nvidia the framepacked mode must be activated, thats what powerdvd and totalmediatheater do...
I think this something else on ati.

What I dont know is how do you push the frame buffer to the driver. Framepacked format is not so complicated to generate but we need to find how to send it to the graphic driver. Maybe the driver just takes 2 images and do the framepacking job.

It would be better if we could just send it right to the HDMI driver.
I have found a very interesting post about doing stereo on nvidia graphic cards, see GDC09-3DVision-The_In_and_Out.pdf AND GALOP1N's explanations.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4026

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for Full 3D via HDMI 1.4a (Frame Packing)2