HOW DO I CONNECT TO ATV1/XMBC over internet?
Greetings,

I have been scouring the internet looking for a "straight forward" way to access my ATV1/XBMC from a remote location. I am a newbie at this, so that is why I looking for a set of directions that are geared for folks like me. I have been reading up on HTTP, webdav, vpn, and I have not found something that I truly understand. Further, I am wary of "breaking" my XBMC and fret of having to do a complete reinstall, which I already have had to do - a process that included removing all my music files that I had transferred to it before resetting my ATV1 to factory settings...ugh.

This is the idea: I would like to access documents or files, say, in the "documents" folder, that I see when I ssh (via cyberduck) into my ATV1 on my home network. It would be great if there were a way to hop on the internet with my mac (or on another computer) while away from home, access my ATV1/XBMC, and download files to my computer over the internet.

Any help is much appreciated.

D
Update to v11 (Eden) Beta 3
On your home router and/or any other firewalls: Open ports 21 and 22 to your Mac
On XBMC use SFTP, the internet IP of the Mac, username and password.

Profit.

At least that's one way to do it. Not the most secure way, as it exposes your Mac to the internet.
Hi Ned,

Thanks for the reply, but I have no idea how to do what you just mentioned.

Also, I was looking for a secure way of doing what I described.

Best, and thanks for any other additional help you may provide.

D
Another method:

forward port 80 on your router

Turn on personal web sharing on the Mac in System Preferences (under Sharing)

Then go to:
Macintosh HD -> Library -> WebServer -> Documents

Delete everything. You don't need them.

Now use this folder to store your media that you want to access over the internet

In XBMC connect to your computer's IP as "Web directory (HTTP)"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW DO I CONNECT TO ATV1/XMBC over internet?0