Best system to run XBMC on...
Im currently running XBMC on a Foxconn NT330i Nettop box..

However the fan is a little loud and I dont need the box to run as a download box any more. So im considering selling it on.

I currently stream media from a NAS, but that will soon change to a Server running Windows sever 2008 (So not bothered about on board storage apart from what is needed for XBMC its self.)
I also use a 2.4ghz Rii Mini keyboard as a remote and output no higher than 720p (but that might change in the future)

What would be the best, quietest (and cheapest) way to use XBMC?
I have read about the Apple TV2... but how good is it? Apple TV1? what other options are there? (i know about the rPi and want to go with something a bit more known)

I don't want it to do anything but run XBMC, and has to be Low powered (as will be on 24/7)
Appletv2 usb port can't be used as a media host (i.e. it appears more like a usb stick than a computer) so your 2.4ghz Rii Mini keyboard won't work if you use a dongle to connect it (which i think you have to).

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
pseudo7 Wrote:Appletv2 usb port can't be used as a media host (i.e. it appears more like a usb stick than a computer) so your 2.4ghz Rii Mini keyboard won't work if you use a dongle to connect it (which i think you have to).

Yea you do.
Ok that isn't a deal breaker.

are there any better alternatives than the ATV2 for what i need?
(i know its not fully up to development speed yet, but i assume it will get there)
You can get an ATV1 (totally different beast than the ATV2) used on eBay or craigslist for about $50-70, and a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card for $30-40. Silent, plays almost anything you can throw at it (including bluray rips), has usable USB (for hard drives, remotes, etc), an internal HDD, and can output a full 1080 when you use a linux OS on it.

I use one set up like that as my main HTPC right now and I love it.
Ned Scott Wrote:You can get an ATV1 (totally different beast than the ATV2) used on eBay or craigslist for about $50-70, and a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card for $30-40. Silent, plays almost anything you can throw at it (including bluray rips), has usable USB (for hard drives, remotes, etc), an internal HDD, and can output a full 1080 when you use a linux OS on it.

I use one set up like that as my main HTPC right now and I love it.

That sounds good, how is the power usage for the ATV1 compared to the ATV2?
and how about the development? (im thinking long term here) is the development going to start focusing more on the ATV2?
Jetpac Wrote:That sounds good, how is the power usage for the ATV1 compared to the ATV2?
and how about the development? (im thinking long term here) is the development going to start focusing more on the ATV2?

You better start thinking of ATV3 which will likely be out this year!
Not sure about power but a good distro for the ATV1 is CrystalHD. It is lean yet feature rich and automatically updates to CrystalHD and XBMC stable releases.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best system to run XBMC on...0