Using a Remote Extender
Hi!

I'm having a really hard time trying to get my RC-6 MCE Remote (eHome Infrared Receiver) to work over a Xantech IR extender / repeater. The remote works just fine in front of the usb sensor/dongle, but when I try to use the remote over the extender, it doesn't work.

I setup the blaster right in front of the dongle, and when I press the remote, the LED on the dongle itself lights up, but irw (lirc) does not recognize the keypresses.

Does anybody have any experience with this? If not, can anybody recommend an IR receiver that works with a remote extender?

Thanks!
What are you using for a remote? What Xantech pieces are you using exactly?

The Xantech should just pass the signal through untouched. If the block you have the emitter plugged into has adjustable output levels, try turning it down. If it doesn't, try not putting the emitter directly over the receiver. Maybe move it around a bit while trying the remote (don't just hold a button down though, press the button repeatedly instead) and see if you can find the sweet spot. There is a good chance the signal is just too strong.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Thanks for the info. I am using the Xantech ML85K. It's a kit that includes a lcd/cfl proof IR receiver, which connects into the 789-44 block, and then gets shot out to the emitters.

I'm using a "SIIG Vista MCE Remote". It's identical to the one here, including the receiver...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AIM...te_Control

I have a Harmony 880 remote that I use, but since it wasn't working, I went back to the stock one, which didn't make a difference.

I don't think there's a way to turn down the juice on the emitters. According to the manual, it says to just stick the emitter on the receiver. I tried that, tried putting it about 5 to 6" away from the receiver, and all nothing.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
More information.... I moved the IR blaster away from the receiver a little bit and it seemed to start recognizing it with irw. Rebooted and it works with XBMC now.

I then swapped the single IR blaster (282D) with a dual one I bought (284D). It seemed like the 284D worked better than the single. I then stuck it right on the receiver and it still worked. Kind of strange that the 284D worked better than the 282D.

Now that I know that works, I can now play around with the location of it. Once I find the sweet spot, maybe I'll look for some silly putty so it stays put. Big Grin

Thanks for the response. I was tearing my hair out trying to get this to work.

On another topic, do you know of a good IR receiver that can be hard-wired in via 3.5mm mono jack?
The 284 worked better because it cuts down the signal level output from the emitter.

Once you find the sweet spot, if the adhesive on the back doesn't hold it, you can use a small dab of clear silicone to hold it in place in a semi-permanent fashion. Don't use superglue. You may laugh, but people actually do this all the time...

Most IR receivers are going to use a stereo at minimum if not one that has the three rings as they typically need power. What is your scenario? Is there a reason you're looking for mono? If you are looking for a receiver to place by the TV and then use emitters on your equipment, I would use the following (at least for the Xantech brand):

DL85/HL85 (LCD/CFL Proof) or DL95/HL95 (Plasma Proof) IR Receiver
CB12/CB18/CB60 or (I prefer) a 78944 connecting block

All of this is depending on your application of course. You can connect the IR receiver to the connecting block over something as simple as cat5 if you want to and run quite a ways if necessary.

All of this is kind of old-school. If your dumping money into all of this, I would recommend just doing a pro-level universal remote (not Harmony) with a RF receiver. My personal favorite is the MX-880 with the MRF-260 from Universal Remote Control.

If none of this really fits your application, describe to me, as best possible, your overall scenario and I may be able to come up with something better than what I mentioned above.

Also, if you live in the US, I may be able to dig up something in the basement... Wink
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Thanks for the response.

I wished I would have checked in before I bought all this stuff. I bought the IR stuff that you preferred and that's what I was working with. It all seemed pretty good now, but it was just a challenge to get it started.

I had all my equipment (onkyo receiver, directv receiver, and HTPC) in my family room on the 1st floor, and I wanted to move everything downstairs so my kid doesn't start pushing buttons on me. I ran the emitter wire through the wall and down into the basement and into the 789-44 block. I then stuck the emitters on the dtv receiver and wired the 789-44 into the 'ir in' on the onkyo. These finally seem to work pretty well now.

I then started trying to get the htpc to work with the emitters, and that's why I came here. I thought hard-wiring the HTPC into the 789-44 would be more reliable than the emitters.

Thanks again for the help and the responses. It's been quite a learning experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using a Remote Extender0