• 5(current)
Raid
patseguin Wrote:Windows 7/motherboard RAID10 had me copying those files in 2-3 minutes.

That's likely because the array was already complete.

I'd definitely advice to go for the controller. It's most likely more competent and from what others have written it seems to be mainstream. Otherwise a MB crash will lead you to either loose your entire array and you having to source the exact MB (or with the exact same controller), which in turn could turn out very expensive and/or time consuming.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
But on second thought, and before you run ahead, I think you should read through djmcnz's post again, to make sure there's no "bad idea" involved in using the LSI controller together with your particular disks.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Yeah I'll do that and then I think the LSI is the way to go. OS shouldn't make much difference should it? Whether I go Linux or Windows? I thought linux because it can run for months and months whereas Windows I bet would have it's problems staying running. I'd want to store this machine in the basement and run an ethernet cable to it and forget about it.

How log does it take for a RAID5 array to build? Should I build it and then give it a certain amount of time before I think about starting to copy files?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:Yeah I'll do that and then I think the LSI is the way to go. OS shouldn't make much difference should it? Whether I go Linux or Windows? I thought linux because it can run for months and months whereas Windows I bet would have it's problems staying running. I'd want to store this machine in the basement and run an ethernet cable to it and forget about it.

How log does it take for a RAID5 array to build? Should I build it and then give it a certain amount of time before I think about starting to copy files?

Linux with MDADM would definitely be the way to go. CPU's and RAM are fast enough these days to do a little raid calculations. It will perform just a good or maybe even better then a hardware raid controller.

Buy a cheap controller that supports all disks so you don't have to worry about that. I use a Highpoint controller in JBOD setup.
That way disks are always access as normal disks and your never dependant on any kind of raidcontroller.

Build time depends on the system and size of the disks. A proper raidcontroller or mdadm will be able to tell you the progress.
What is MDADM?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Linux application to build raid arrays.

You could have found that out yourself...
in the time that this round and round has gone you could have been up and running on unraid lol

i haven't looked over there to see if you actually asked questions but the unraid forums are just as active as the xbmc forums are

if i am wasting my keystrokes because you are set on something else then so be it as maybe it will help someone else

a couple of points....

yes you are going to have slow write speeds to a parity protected array because it is not a striped array....but if you lose multiple disks then you don't lose the whole array just the multiple bad disks as being a single parity array you can only lose one disk without losing something

if all of your data currently resides on hard drives and you have new hard drives to have to data copied to then the best choice is to not turn on parity so that you will get raw disk to disk speeds but being that your data will still be on your original hard drives you basically have a backup since copying to an unprotected array leaves you no protection but again you will still have copies so why not take advantage of getting faster speeds

once the data is copied over then turn on parity and let it build

i have said it many times that before xbmc and unraid i could not have told you what linux looked like...what one single linux command was
but seeing as we are on the xbmc forums its important to note that i had questions on both and i continue to get help on both....and in the case of both at least for me they have just worked
WE ALL WE GOT
UnRAID is a nice product, however often not a good solution in most cases as the ability to run other applications next to it is almost none existent. Not to forget it's not really RAID (The R stands for Redundant which UnRAID is not) and its also rather expensive compaired to the alternatives.
bigdog66 Wrote:in the time that this round and round has gone you could have been up and running on unraid lol

LMAO you're probably right.

And to answer you, yes I am posting over there but they have not proven overly helpful like this community is.
Ballistic Wrote:UnRAID is a nice product, however often not a good solution in most cases as the ability to run other applications next to it is almost none existent. Not to forget it's not really RAID (The R stands for Redundant which UnRAID is not) and its also rather expensive compaired to the alternatives.

The thing that gets me is is that argument having to be addressed many times on the XBMC forum lol
i am not saying I totally disagree but we are having this discussion in the forums of a product that really the same thing can be said about it lol

I absolutely love XBMC and don't see using anything else but the same goes for here...most of the things you can think of using have already been created or if something is asked for enough then someone usually puts in the time to make it work....no different than here

don't get me wrong...there are plenty of things that can outright be said that it just doesn't do.....if you need parity protection for more than one drive then at the present time unraid is not for you etc

but not being able to install most things and expensive are not one of them..

i couldn't tell you the last time i purchased software so believe me it was a hard pill to swallow to have to pony up for a paid version...but considering i dont have to add pools of hard drives....honestly at this point and time i cant believe anybody would even bring up cost now that i think about it lol

if i had to buy a pool of hard drives right now instead of being able to throw my old smaller hard drives in to get me by till hard drive prices come down i would be in trouble lol
WE ALL WE GOT
patseguin Wrote:LMAO you're probably right.

And to answer you, yes I am posting over there but they have not proven overly helpful like this community is.

i will go check out your threads....im far far away from an expert but maybe i can help
WE ALL WE GOT
I was going to go with FreeNAS but I was at a total loss as to how to install it. It says it runs from a USB drive (like unRAID does) but the download is an ISO. Additionally, I thought I read that once you switch to ZFS your drive stays like that and can't go back. Is that right? If I had better instructions to install FreeNAS I might try that in unRAID continues to be a problem. Right now I am preclearing the drives and it will probably be well into tomorrow before it's done.
I think its funny that you complain about speed in your first post. But now you have decided to go for FreeNAS or Unraid which imo, aren't fast at all.
I think it's even funnier how crazy I am driving myself with all of this. I really have no idea what to do now. I am researching Windows Home Server 2011 a bit.
patseguin Wrote:I think it's even funnier how crazy I am driving myself with all of this. I really have no idea what to do now. I am researching Windows Home Server 2011 a bit.

But I've told you what you need to do... Smile

djmcnz Wrote:Use the independent controller, it's probably got it's own ram and cache and will take load off the motherboard, however incremental. Set it up, RAID5 sounds right for you and then test the performance of the array on the server using any number of read/write test tools. Confirm your performance is sound then look at your network if streaming is bad.

You'll need a switched gigabit backbone at least, preferably the whole network (or wireless N), and turn auto-switching (10/100) off on all your ports and set manually to max. Plug the media server directly into the primary switch (or switching router).

Good luck! Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raid0