cant ssh into atv2 but can sftp
want to ssh into my apple tv to update the xbmc version on there. Its 4.1.1. I have ssh'd into it recently (about a month ago) but now it doesnt want to allow me access.

when I do the following:
"ssh root@appletvip"

i get:
root@appletvip's password:
Connection to 192.168.254.239 closed.

it sees the apple tv, just wont log in.
if i type a pasword other than alpine it says wrong password.

I can sftp into the apple tv with filezilla and can access the file system using root/alpine.

any ideas what im doing wrong or what i can do? dont want to update/rejailbreak as i want to stay away from 4.4.4 for now.

edit:using terminal on mbp on 10.7.3 if that makes a difference
I have always just typed the ip address, not the name of the unit. In other words, "ssh [email protected].***.***". Do not know if that would make a difference for you.
tjhfwtx Wrote:I have always just typed the ip address, not the name of the unit. In other words, "ssh [email protected].***.***". Do not know if that would make a difference for you.

thats what i meant by appletvip, just didnt want to type out 192.168.254.239.

on another note, i have tried connecting as "ssh [email protected]" with the same results
What happens when you try logging in with mobile|alpine? Same thing?

Have you tried from a different computer?
i got it to update in a roundabout way:
ssh [email protected] apt-get update

after i entered the password it ran the command. then disconnected. at least i have eden 3 on there now..im happy
You can turn on debugging for the ssh command to see if it gives any clues as to what's going wrong. For instance,

"ssh -v [email protected]"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cant ssh into atv2 but can sftp0