Connecting xbmc to a pc directly after router removal
Hi,
I used to have my pc and another pc with xbmc connected to a router and everything worked fine.
I'm now trying to remove the router and connect the two directly, but it is not working.

I remember that long ago when I did that, I just had to change the Ethernet card ip address on the pc, which I did.

Is there a quick solution?

thanks
are you using a Crossover Cable between the 2 devices?
m3g4tr0n Wrote:are you using a Crossover Cable between the 2 devices?

I think so.
I'm using the cable that used to worked for this...
Both machines need to have an IP address on the same subnet. Something like manually setting the computers like the following:

XBMC: IP - 192.168.1.2 Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
PC: IP - 192.168.1.3 Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

You may also need a crossover Cat5(e) or Cat6 ethernet cable. Some network cards can automatically switch to crossover using a regular cable, some cannot.
That's what I remembered but couldn't find where to input the ip address in xbmc.
Are you running windows or XBMC Live? If you're running windows you change the IP address via the control panel. If linux look here (as there isn't a way to do it from the XBMC interface as far as I know):

Configuring XBMC Live
Thanks. I used to directly connect my pc to my xbox, where you configured the ip via xbmc.

I've set both ip addresses but no go...
Then I suspect the Xbox was capable of MDIX and your current XBMC/PC are not, or the cable is damaged. I'd invest in a cheap crossover cable if you cannot add a hub or switch and another cable to the mix.
Sureguy Wrote:Then I suspect the Xbox was capable of MDIX and your current XBMC/PC are not, or the cable is damaged. I'd invest in a cheap crossover cable if you cannot add a hub or switch and another cable to the mix.

Thanks. I'll get another cable first.
Anyhow, if it's the cable, then when I'll connect a working one, will everything work as before without any changes outside the ip config on both machines?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting xbmc to a pc directly after router removal0