XBMCbuntu Eden b3 install, feedback and a question
A very big THANK YOU to the XBMC development team!

BACKGROUND
My hardware platform is a Jetway netbook (D525 and ION2) connected to a Denon 7.1 reciever by HDMI, on which I have been running XBMC 10.1 for the past year. It took me about 2 weeks to get that running, with very limited function of the included Jetway remote. I connect to video and mp3 sources via nfs4 with a generic RTL8191S usb wireless N network adaptor. I chose this because I could only get 54mbps with the internal Atheros wireless. My router is 39 feet away with 2 walls in between. Things had been running pretty well for me, but I wanted to get weather working again, so I decided to install an Eden beta.

BETA 2
I tried installing Eden beta 2. I had errors that XBMC could not find VDPAU and the video was noticably jerky, or stuttering. ALSA found 4 SPDIF outputs. I was able to find the correct one with aplay and configure XBMC audio with a custom ALSA output. The movie sound was fine, but MP3 play was silent. I also had GUI navigation problems and could not drop out of the GUI to a command prompt. This last problem turned out to be weak batteries in the wireless keyboard. After a week of fun, I gave up. Then I noticed the banner at the bottom of XBMC, announcing Eden beta 3.

BETA 3
I chose the XBMCbuntu Eden beta 3 iso and copied it to a usb flash drive. It took a total of 4 hours to install and configure beta 3. I did not need to install any additional packages to get it running. This really is a vast improvement over beta2, and even 10.1.

Alsa showed 2 devices. After blacklisting the usb_snd module, I was left with only one device, the HDMI port. This made the Audio Output configuration easy. I have no asoundrc asound.conf files. Surprisingly that HDMI port was not muted. I now have sound on movies and MP3. I don't have menu navigation sounds, but don't much care about that.

The nfs package is already in beta 3 and I did not have to create the mount points or edit the fstab file. Setting up the nfs shares under sources was a breeze. My remote has greater functionality than I had with 10.1, no setup or configuration required.

The Wireless network service is great. I knew I had to blacklist the Atheros modules. After that and a reboot, everything worked well. With 10.1 wifi, I had occasional buffering and the best link quality I saw (with iwconfig) was 86/100, with an average of 82. With bets 3 my link quality came up at 100/100! When I saw this, I started lowering the transmit power on my N router (DD-WRT). The default is 71. Mine is now running at 15 and my link quality is 96/100. I have watched 6 fast action 1080p movies in the last 2 days with no buffering. The video still just stutters slightly, compared to 10.1, but it is much better than what I saw with Eden beta 2.

Question:
How can I change the weather temperature display from Celsious to Fahrenheit?

Thanks again for the great work on Eden
Quote:How can I change the weather temperature display from Celsious to Fahrenheit?

try to change region. (Settings\appearance\international\region) I think that should do itSmile
Thanks. That worked.

It would be a nice improvement if the Timezone or Timezone country, which have been detected at install forced a default Region.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Eden b3 install, feedback and a question0