XBMC streaming to remote pc?
If bandwidth for streaming HD content seamlessly isn't an issue, why not just get a pair of site-to-side VPN capable firewall and extend your network wherever you need to.
again, I would suggest subsonic. it streams remotely to any computer using a web based GUI, and even to android and ios using apps. it will transcode audio and video files for you, and best of all it is free!
not sure if you got the nomenclature correct. i dont think there exist any xbmc-server, per say. what i do is use my fedora-server in my office upstairs and connect to it (using sshfs over wifi) to my revo downstairs on my tv.

i guess if you really wanted to is install xbmcbuntu on your server, then ssh (or nfs)into it to make your media accessable to your xbmc-client.

edit: this is a response to post #10. i didnt realize this was 4 pages long. still catching up.
(2011-04-08, 06:00)panaman Wrote:
tvont Wrote:Back - once again with the same purpose.

I was absent a while and came back to XBMC because I still search for this option. Great work implemented in XBMC right now - but this (in my eyes) most neccessary feature still not.

Come on guys - Is it really such a problem to implement - at least by web interface, just like youtube did - an option to transcode (optional) and / or just stream content at least through the local LAN and is stable? to another XBMC Client or just by Webbrowser? The webinterface is great - but no option to stream.
I mean, I cannot imagine that it is such seldom on earth that someone has a server which is located in the basement?
Its almost everything there in XBMC, feature rich application, media management, Fanart, Audio Sorting - but NOTHING which is usefull if you have a server which is not in the living room (smb is no option because filesystem based)

Even for the Iphone there is a tiny app which has its counterpart running on a PC and transcodes the movies you select on the fly. The "server" application is just as big as a few (very few) MB. Stable but featureless.

XBMC - in my eyes - is the best Mediaclient on the world - but without such a feature it is not usefull for people with content located outside the livingroom.

This should be no criticism but INCENTIVE.

Any reply is welcome

My server is in the basement :-) my xbmc machines play the content that it stores.... of course its not streaming it.. its just using samba.... but why the heck do you need to stream anything.... my media pc's aren't the fasted thing on the planet..... I have yet to find a file that hasn't played smoothly on my xbmc media pc's over the network. My Avatar BD rip is 40GB and it plays smooth as silk. (of course my appletv can't play it...... but it also doesn't have GB ethernet onboard either.)

Why would I want to stream anything!? I don't have 1MB of video stored in this house either on servers or both the media centers, it's all streamed from my Movies, TV, Live TV and Music and nothing is locally stored.

Why? Because currently in my library is 3440 Movies that I simply press Play and off we go!

Sorry about bad quality of photo but flash was on and it lit room and projector up rather bright. (0 Watched as had to re-index it all)
Get Subsonic, be happy.
Hi to all, I'm a newbie of XBMC.I'm waiting a raspberri pi and this is my project:
raspberry pi connected to a samsung Led TV, raspberry pi connected to internet to stream video to my laptop when I will work far from home.
The first step could be done with XMBC:I saw it from two colleagues that use XBMC locally (a laptop connected to the tv) and it is great!
But here comes the problem: the streaming part.I know that the best result is to use XBMC directly on a tv but if it handle my video library would be nice to use it to stream video to my laptop.
At the end, could XBMC do also the streaming side of my project?
I would like to start xbmc on my laptop and get access to my xbmc at home with all my movies there when im out travelling...
mcgyver/mrlegal: xbmc is media center software so it is not aimed at serving files.

you would need to turn on some service (httpd, sshfs, ...) that will allow you to sling media to a client thru the internet.
That is exactly the setup i have, 2 X HP mediavaults that i have all my music, and videos on, and 4PCs of varying quality running around the house. all you need to do is set up the MySQL on either server and point the xbmc on each PC to find it. I'm not a confident using SQL by any means, but it was a breeze to set up, and it works a treat. I did it all following the instructions here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries
(2011-04-08, 00:12)tvont Wrote: Back - once again with the same purpose.

I was absent a while and came back to XBMC because I still search for this option. Great work implemented in XBMC right now - but this (in my eyes) most neccessary feature still not.

Come on guys - Is it really such a problem to implement - at least by web interface, just like youtube did - an option to transcode (optional) and / or just stream content at least through the local LAN and is stable? to another XBMC Client or just by Webbrowser? The webinterface is great - but no option to stream.
I mean, I cannot imagine that it is such seldom on earth that someone has a server which is located in the basement?
Its almost everything there in XBMC, feature rich application, media management, Fanart, Audio Sorting - but NOTHING which is usefull if you have a server which is not in the living room (smb is no option because filesystem based)

Even for the Iphone there is a tiny app which has its counterpart running on a PC and transcodes the movies you select on the fly. The "server" application is just as big as a few (very few) MB. Stable but featureless.

XBMC - in my eyes - is the best Mediaclient on the world - but without such a feature it is not usefull for people with content located outside the livingroom.

This should be no criticism but INCENTIVE.

Any reply is welcome

I have experimented with this and have all my media stored on a server in my basement. XBMC is installed on 5 different computers in the home, 2 of which are connected to TVs. Each individual installation uses dynamic linking to access the databases directly and simultaneously under windows vista and 7 (ie. to the local installation the data appears local). If I add content using the installation on any one computer, it is added to the same database all computers use and is immediately available to all. One of the installs is on my son's laptop and he uses it wirelessly. Even with a larger database, the latency when browsing all movies at once is minimal and playback is no issue. I especially like being able to create playlists that are automatically available to all locations immediately.

I have not experimented with the built in streaming faciliteis yet to know how that works but I have access my media using my web browser from work directly from my WHS located at home.

I think there are simple solutions available already.
@xbmcmentor, your "system" has a centralized DB that stores all the configurations/movies/tracks for yours 5 XBMC instances?
How can I do the same? How is called this feature in XBMC?
It is not an XBMC feature. I just use the symbolic link feature within Windows 7/vista to make a shared network folder appear as a local folder to MySQL Look here to see the background on this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

The two folders are make common to all installations are userdata and addons. I also use the portable data setup as I find it is easier to manage.
So you have a set of folders in which you have userdata and addons, you use symbolic link to use always "one real" set of folder?
How can I achieve that (a portable "settings" folder)?
Here's the jist of what I do.

1. Install XBMC normally but change the install folder to something I can navigate to and manage easily, like Users\Public\XBMC (this is also required if you have more than one user account on the computer in question and any one of them might be running xbmc).
2. Edit the start menu shortcut to include the switch for using portable mode -p (I like using this because I can easily change things up by unceremoniously dumping the whole portable_data folder should I ever have the need or want to do this).
3. Navigate to the folders created at Users\Public\XBMX\portable_data and remove the userdata and addons folders
4. Drop to a cmd box and make symbolic links to "replace" these folders such as: mklink /d userdata \\server\xbmc\userdata and mklink /d addons \\server\xbmc\addons (look this up to be sure I have the syntax correct)
5. Use XBMC as usual

For this scheme to work properly, all your media HAS to be referenced identically from each installation. This is why I use "\\server" instead of mapping a drive letter directly. For instance, all movies can be accessible from all computers in the network at "\\server\movies". This way there are no drive letters to worry about and it's just cleaner. Because this is a network share, the media could actually be moved if needed and the stations and the database will be unaffected. This also enables you to distribute your movies throughout your network easily should you ever want to do this - just remember, wherever the media is stored has to be accessible at all times and in an identical way from all stations. All my media is on my server which is on 24/7.

Once this is setup for one station, additional stations can be added easily in just a few minutes and all react equally to any changes in the database. I believe I resolved to just focus on the two folders mentioned as it enabled me to do make other "station specific" settings like audio/video output types that would not have to be the same for all.

There's no rocket science to this but you do have to be comfortable with basic networking tasks and setups.
So you have an XBMC instance on each machine but e single centralized "userdata" and "addons" linked by simlink to each XBMC instance/machine; but at the end you say " it enabled me to do make other "station specific"", I don't understand. Have you got multiple userdata/addons folders or only one "real" folders set?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC streaming to remote pc?0