Best way to power ON/OFF HTPC – (Asus E45M1-I Deluxe)
Hi
After many years of saying I will build one, I’ve finally built my first HTPC. I went for the following spec:
  • MB: Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
  • Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
  • SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
  • HDD: 3Tb Seagate Baracuda XT
  • ODD: Sony Optiarc BC-5640H Slot Loading Blu-Ray Combo Drive
  • Case: Wesena Mini ITX7-2 Case Silver
  • PSU: 90W Mini-Box picoPSU-90
  • Remotes: Logitech diNovo Mini & R6 MCE Remote (as this)
  • [font=&quot]Win7x64 + XBMC 11b3
    [/font]
My problem is that I can’t seem to get the pc to power on/off nicely. Ideally, I’d like to make it go to sleep (or hibernate - not sure which is best?) by pressing the power button the front of the case. However, when I set this up, it seems to keep coming back on a few seconds after it goes to sleep.

I’ve disabled all the bios APM (advanced power management) options with no effect. I’ve tweaked the power setting in windows, also to no avail.

Has anyone got any experience of this or could point me to a relevant thread on the forum that already describes it (I did look, but was overwhelmed with non-applicable results!).

Thanks in advance, ploppytk

P.S. Would also like to turn the HTPC on with XBMC in focus – should I use eventghost or something similar to do this?
ploppytk Wrote:P.S. Would also like to turn the HTPC on with XBMC in focus – should I use eventghost or something similar to do this?

I use Eventghost for this and it works fine! It can also manage your remote inside XBMC.
It could be due to Wake On Lan (network activity) or wake on usb (perhaps your IR receiver is getting a signal from something. Try shutting down without your network plugged in and see if it stays shut down, if not try shutting down with your IR receiver unplugged.

Regarding getting XBMC in focus on startup, I've chosen to launch it from a batch file with the following line before running XBMC:

timeout /t 10

This waits 10 seconds before launching XBMC, which means everything is up and running and XBMC automatically gets focus as it's the last thing to load.
I would start by going into your device manager and check the Power management tab on both of your remotes and IR receiver to make sure "use device to wake computer" is unchecked.

I like to use hibernate as it essentially turns the HTPC off but only takes about 10 seconds (no SSD) to come about of hibernation when I press the power button on the HTPC.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
as you are, u wont be able to wake up your HTPC from a total shutdown state (S5).

but, wake up your HTPC from a sleep state (S3) should be no problems with an MCE remote.
I found it was the Realtek network adaptor settings that needed tweaking. Although I had disabled the wake-on-lan in the BIOS, there are some similar settings in the driver config settings. I disabled all of these and hey-presto!

Thanks for all your quick advice. Now to go and try eventghost!

ptk
ploppytk,

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but do you have a fan installed in your ITX7 case? I've got an e45m1-i in a wesena itx2 case without a fan and the temps climb above 80C when the cpu is idle. What sort of temperatures are you seeing in your ITX7 case?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to power ON/OFF HTPC – (Asus E45M1-I Deluxe)0