What's the best way to Blu Ray?
Hello all!

This is the first time I've ever had to post as I usually can find my answers by digging, but I've found myself stumped.

After extensive searching I've found a few different ways suggested for Blu Ray playback with XBMC (editing extensions in MPC, using an external player, etc.). I just finished an HTPC build for my brother with a Blu Ray drive and am looking for the simplest way to include playback with XBMC. When I say simple, I mean simple for him and his family, if I have to do a bunch of work, that's fine. I just want him to be able to have XBMC running, pop a Blu Ray in, select load and away it goes, and when it's done, or if he needs to stop, it kicks him right back into XBMC.

As I said, I've looked around, so don't feel obligated to write me a step-by-step walkthrough, a simple link to one would be sufficient.

Thanks in advance!
Simplest would be to have AnyDVD running in the background - pop in disc and playback the main movie (most of the time).

If he wants menus and special feature access you'd have to setup and external player (like Arcsoft TMT).
@Serberus- If you want XBMC to natively playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio, you can use the latest XBMC patches- XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay. If you BD is encrypted, you can download AnyDVD HD to run in the background for decrypt purpose!

If you want to enjoy the original blu-ray menus, previews, chapters, 3d, etc, you can use this "External Player", and you can simply named your BD files "title_ext.iso" and use this protocol "<rule filename=".*_ext.iso*" protocols="*_ext.iso*" player="ext_Player"/>". The rest of the blu-rays still can playback using the latest XBMC patches.

The latest XBMC patches and external player "TMT5" are excellent combination for XBMC! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Good stuff! Thanks again for the advice!
AnyDVD is not a free app. DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray is another free alternative.
Download from here.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:AnyDVD is not a free app. DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray is another free alternative.
Download from here.
It's not free, but no software can do better in this field than AnyDVD HD. It's not just decrypt BD, it do all of the above in the background:

Same features as regular AnyDVD
Removes restrictions from Blu-ray media.
Makes Blu-ray media playable with every player software.
Removes region codes from Blu-ray media.
Watch movies over digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display.
Removes annoyances
Can disable BD-Live to protect your privacy
Allows playback of discs requiring a 3D monitor on 2D displays
The "must have" utility for the serious home theater enthusiast using a media center / home theater PC.
Provides its own Universal Disk Format (UDF) reader, no need to install 3rd party filesystem. Discs which cannot be read by Windows can be copied using AnyDVD HD.
I'm not trying to say that anydvd is not worth the money. It is. I'm just saying that the option I suggested is free (at least for the time being), and it does a great job at removing copy protection. If you want anything else then anydvd is the way to go.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:I'm not trying to say that anydvd is not worth the money. It is. I'm just saying that the option I suggested is free (at least for the time being), and it does a great job at removing copy protection. If you want anything else then anydvd is the way to go.
I understood your point, and free is good! But he might need more than a simple decrypter to use XBMC "Play Disc" option.

If he want to try DVDFab decrypter, he can download it from here- PassKey Lite.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the best way to Blu Ray?0