Path substitution question
Can I setup path substitution for Thumbnails & Fanart to a network share using the advancedsettings.xml file without setting up a MySql database? The Thumbnails directory is getting quite large on the ATV2 and is taking up quite a bit of space.
Yep. Path substitution is an independent feature.
Thanks Ned, so I just copy the Thumbnail folder from the ATV2 to my network share, and then setup the advancedsettings.xml and we should be good, I guess renaming the Thumbnail folder on the ATV2 as a temporary step to test to make sure the share is working.
Islandhitman Wrote:Thanks Ned, so I just copy the Thumbnail folder from the ATV2 to my network share, and then setup the advancedsettings.xml and we should be good, I guess renaming the Thumbnail folder on the ATV2 as a temporary step to test to make sure the share is working.

That will do it. Below is what you need to specify in the advancedsettings xml file:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>smb://juggernaut/xbmc/thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
Well I final got around to trying this and there is still something not quite right yet but I can't put my finger on it, maybe someone else can find the problem. The weird part is the Thumbnails and Fanart are working but still getting errors in the log file..... see below.

xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/d7Trp7du

And here is my "advancedsettings.xml" file.

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>
<to>afp://wmillman:[email protected]/Media Drive/Thumbs/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

The Media Drive in question is formatted ExFat and is connected to my Mac Mini there shouldn't be any rights issues.
I recall hearing that AFP sharing was funky when using drives formatted in other than HFS+, which is odd because it shouldn't matter at all to XBMC. I could be wrong, though.
Well I tried it on the local drive internal to the Mac and the same errors are occurring.
Islandhitman Wrote:Thanks Ned, so I just copy the Thumbnail folder from the ATV2 to my network share, and then setup the advancedsettings.xml and we should be good, I guess renaming the Thumbnail folder on the ATV2 as a temporary step to test to make sure the share is working.

Just to make sure is this the folder you copy in your network share?

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails
phileas50 Wrote:Just to make sure is this the folder you copy in your network share?

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails

correct
Ned Scott Wrote:I recall hearing that AFP sharing was funky when using drives formatted in other than HFS+, which is odd because it shouldn't matter at all to XBMC. I could be wrong, though.

I can assure you that the same errors are reproduced with SMB in LinuxShocked
Double and triple check that you have write access to the share.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path substitution question0