To DXVA2 or not!!
Hi,
I am running a HTPC with a GT520gpu and an i7 cpu running Win764 and the latest XBMX Beta3 with HD audio and was wondering if there is any advantage enabling DXVA2 or not? Does it give better picture quality?
I dont seem to notice any difference myself apart from perhaps when I chapter search it seems a little smoother with it disabled...
If you don't need help from the GPU (which you shouldn't with that rig) then call it personal preference.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DXVA is hardware accelerated decoding, has nothing to do with chapter search - which has nothing to do with decoding video.

While you don't need DXVA you can use it to lower your CPU power consumption, and heat.

In general, your system is overkill for HTPC. If you are only using XBMC you have about 10x the machine you really need.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:DXVA is hardware accelerated decoding, has nothing to do with chapter search - which has nothing to do with decoding video.

While you don't need DXVA you can use it to lower your CPU power consumption, and heat.

In general, your system is overkill for HTPC. If you are only using XBMC you have about 10x the machine you really need.

Chapter search is smoother when I use my CPU for decoding, dont know why but its a fact.. Yeah i know its a bit OTT for a HTPC but I also use to have a GTX580 in there also only got rid of that because it wouldnt 'bit stream'. It was originally built as a gaming rig, but found myslef bored of PC gaming so i just turned it into a HTPC Rolleyes
I was just wondering if eneabling DXVA2 had any other advantages apart from taking the strain off the CPU. When using DXVA2 my cpu is running about around 3% without it it runs at around 7% ( blu ray rips )..
Thanks anyway Big Grin
mrhyde1969 Wrote:Chapter search is smoother when I use my CPU for decoding, dont know why but its a fact.. Yeah i know its a bit OTT for a HTPC but I also use to have a GTX580 in there also only got rid of that because it wouldnt 'bit stream'. It was originally built as a gaming rig, but found myslef bored of PC gaming so i just turned it into a HTPC Rolleyes
I was just wondering if eneabling DXVA2 had any other advantages apart from taking the strain off the CPU. When using DXVA2 my cpu is running about around 3% without it it runs at around 7% ( blu ray rips )..
Thanks anyway Big Grin

Think you answered your own question Laugh Pick which one you want to exercise lol
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To DXVA2 or not!!0