Replace 8400GS or upgrade?
My pny 8400 GS pci video card died after about a year and I need to replace it. Is that's still good card to get or is there a better card with newer technology that would work better going forward? I am installing this in an old dell optiplex with a p4 and a couple GB of ram.

Thanks,

David
depends on your budget and what you want to be able to do? you say pci do you mean that or PCI-E? if its a pci slot I would get a ZT-40605-10L, It would work great in Linux, live tv (deinterlaced video) looks great and it would bitstream hd audio.

for PCI-E I personally, would go for a GT430, it will be cheaper then the pci version. there is also a fanless/passive version from Asus ENGT430 off memory, as long as your case can fit it.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Thanks for the reply. It is pci not pci-e and basically I wanted a card that would do all that XBMC had to offer but after searching, I ended up getting the same card as before due to space restrictions.

David
<8400GS
Happy with it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replace 8400GS or upgrade?0