DXVA2, Artifacts & Stuttering
Hello.

I've been running XBMC for a couple of years off a laptop that couldn't play anything higher than 720p. I recently bought a new Gateway core i5 desktop and am using that as a HTPC and currently running Eden and watching big fat 1080p files.

With DXVA2 enabled I get occasional artifacts in certain spots in certain mkv files. I know that many recommend disabling DXVA2, saying the core ix CPUs are robust enough to not need it but, when I did, I noticed occasional stuttering while playing back certain scenes in high bitrate files--The opening battle scene of "Revenge of the Sith" for instance. CPU is around 20% but the VCPU can go as high as 101% at some points. The stuttering also happens on an older i3 I have.

So it seems I can either leave DXVA on and experience occasional artifacts OR leave it off and experience occasional stuttering.

I know these problems have been discussed elsewhere but I'm not sure a solution was ever arrived at.
I think you're stuck with picking the lesser of two evils. The built in graphics on the i3/i5/i7's have some sporatic problems when DVXA2 is enabled. I will say that it is much better under Eden than Dharma.
Would installing a video card solve the problem?
In Win7 yes.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Being a complete non-gamer and considering this rig would only be used for watching movies, I keep seeing the Radeon 6450 mentioned as a good choice.

Keeping in mind my system is now playing 99.9% of my videos flawlessly, would I be able to get by with something cheaper?
A 6450 will work great however I don't see any reason why your i5 would be struggling with software decoding a high bitrate video.

My i3 sandy had no trouble playing back 1:1 bluray rips using just the cpu.
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
I had the same problem, but only with high bitrate bluray movies. I bought a cheap ATi HD6450 and now all of my problems are gone using DXVA2.
I have the same, 6450, and playback is flawless - highly recommend.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
What's the point of dxva2 ? Does it just use the gpu more rather then the CPU? Does it give you better picture quality? Also should you have DeInterlace In video settings on or off?
Installed a 6450 and now everything works perfectly!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXVA2, Artifacts & Stuttering0