Slow gigabit
I finally have my unRAID setup up and running and am copying my movies to one of my shares. The copy is going at 43MB/s on a gigabit ethernet. Why am I not getting the right speed? I rebooted my PC and my router but 1.93 TB of data is saying 18 hours to copy.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I suspect you are using SAMBA, which is much slower then NFS for file transfers.

Also you are likely limited by your hard drive speeds not your gigabit LAN. Off memory I used to get 40-50MB/s on SAMBA and about 70MB/s on NFS. That was the limit of my mechanical hard drives. Transferring between SSDs or RAID would result in a faster transfer. Basically the bottleneck will be your slowest device.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Well, I am still ripping my library and previously I was getting speed 10 times that. Plus, last night a TV show started buffering every couple minutes last night. The server has "Enable SMB" as yes and local master as "yes" ( couldn't get "My Network" to see the shares until I did this).
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Can't help you if it is an unRAID problem, as I haven't used it

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
I'm not sure if it is or not. I seem to recall having the network slow down like this beofre and then magically it kicked into regular speed from nowhere. XBMC started buffering last night and I couldn't even watch the video. I don't even know where to start...

EDIT: Someone said that 43MB/s is actually very good for copying to a parity protected unRAID share. However, I still feel something is wrong since XBMC started buffering last night and pausing my playback every 5 seconds.
Were you still copying files when the buffering occurred? If 43MB/s is all the unraid can handle, then trying to stream from it while maxing it out with a transfer would likely cause performance issues I'd think. No experience with unraid myself, though.
No I only started copying today. Watching last night I was doing nothing other than building the array, which had no ties to XBMC and still doesn't. What you're saying is what I was thinking. I can only guess that the guy over on unRAID was saying that this transfer speed is good for copying to a parity protected volume. I would have expected Gigabit to mean 1,000MB per second. At least previous to this it was only taking we 2-3 minutes to copy each movie rip to my Windows 7 installation and hardware RAID.
If your Unraid is set up with folders of movies, tv, music, etc and you use the dreaded copy and paste or cut and paste commands to the Unraid, the write will be slower. If you drag and drop from your windows machine into the movies, music etc folders on the Unraid the transfer should be faster. Atleast that is what I have found out.
I'm pretty sure gigabit is 1,000 mega bits per second, not bytes. That's like 125MBs max...

Now, I have no idea what unraid really does, but I'm guessing you're doing software based raid, which means the CPU in the machine can have a large impact on the speed of writes.

Just throwing out some guesses... Frankly, I wsould have like 43MBs on my old file server. I was getting like 25MBs using mdadm with a Athlon II 240e processor. The CPU was pegged on writes!
Quote:I'm pretty sure gigabit is 1,000 mega bits per second, not bytes. That's like 125MBs max

Correct, plus you have to allow for resources so you will never reach 125MB/s. As I said earlier you can get close for example one SSD to another SSD over a gigabit LAN.

The hard drive is usually the bottleneck I only get 70MBs which is my mechanical SATA II HDD holding it up.

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Hmm I forget if I dragged or copy pasted. One thing that happened was I opened the folder just to look on it and. Explorer crashed, canceling the copy
43MB/s is 344Mb/s from which you need to add network overhead (adressing and stuff). I don't know how much it is, but probably some 10%.

There could be a number of reasons for the gap to full gigabit, such as poor cables, router not holding up, switches not holding up, network cards not holding it's promised speed and, as others have mentioned, disks being a bottleneck (and/or bus speed and what have you on the MB).
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
OK, no I did drag and drop I remember now.

Orclas, I just don't know. When I was copying files to my hardware raid previously it was taking minutes, not days.

I must just cancel this copy and reboot and see what happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow gigabit0