New SSD = install XBMC to Windows 7 or XBMCbuntu
so I've been using a linux version of xbmc since day one from ubuntu desktop with xbmc installed ontop, I then switched to xbmc-live and then found out about xbmc-freaks live cd's. I've been using xbmcFreak for a couple years now and even have his xbmcbuntu Eden beta3 installed. but one thing I always struggle with is my damn resume from standby on every install I do.

so do I continue to use Linux based distro or switch to Windows.

I want this to be more of an appliance box than an all around multipurpose machine. I am rocking a zotac ion mobo with 8 gigs of ram it has been working flawlessly for my 1080P content.

Pros and cons of using a windows htpc with xbmc ontop.

mind you this is only used to streaming my content from my media server that holds all my media.

I know my remote works out of the box with xbmcfreaks XBMCbuntu and all audio is spot on, I don't have to do anything other than pick the correct setting in xbmc to get my hdmi working as it should.

will Windows be the same or will I have to spend hours fucking around with reading guides and getting the damn thing to work.

-=Jason=-
hrm. I thought I'd at least some some input on the subject. I guess I'll just load xbmcFreak Beta3 then... however Win7 would be nice to have a second computer to use to surf the web when the wife is on the laptop.

Guess I'd need a quality wireless keyboard and mouse, any suggestions there?

-=Jason=-
If its just a box to steam local content, why not have a look at openelec?
gabbott Wrote:If its just a box to steam local content, why not have a look at openelec?

I just might do that. as long as I can resume from standby and use my mce coded remote in good to go

-=jason=-
xbmcbuntu has been great for me, plus you get the linux desktop environment if you want to logout of the xbmc user and use the desktop for any websurfing etc

super fast and snappy with the ssd and 4 gigs of ram streaming 1080p from my LAN
Hrm . Wonder if . can have the ubuntu desktop with the xbmcfreak version or is his just a live version

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New SSD = install XBMC to Windows 7 or XBMCbuntu0