How to make the green Play-Button on a MCE remote start XBMC instead of Windows Media
Hi,

i have a MCE remote, which works fine in XBMC, however, when XBMC is not yet running, the green Button titled "Start" launches Windows 7 Media Center by default. How can I change this default behaviour to start XBMC instead? Where is that configured in Windows?

Thanks alot
This is what I have found to be most useful using an MCE remote:

Use the MCE remote addon to map a remote button to the Windows key (I use the green media center button for this). Pin XBMC to the start menu, while removing any programs you do not use the remote for from the start menu. To open XBMC, simply hit the "Windows key" button on the remote, and use the up/down arrows to select XBMC, or any other program you have pinned to the start menu.
The procedure pcdude describes only works for eHome remotes. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to tell ifyour remote is an eHome remote.

Non-eHome remotes usually send the keypress win-alt-enter when you press the green button and Windows diverts this keypress to open WMC. It is possible to get round this, see http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote for details, but it all gets a bit messy.

JR
This works great for me: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/r...art_Button
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
TechLife Wrote:This works great for me: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/r...art_Button

+1 for this. Great site and the thread for support is here (EliteGamer360 is awesome)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78179
It's simple. Click 'start' search 'add remove programs' and click. On the left hand panel next to the list of programs installed, click 'enable disable windows features'. Scroll down to ' windows media center' and disable it. Save and exit.

Now download event ghost, map the green button to launch xbmc.exe.

Done.
How about this for those who want XBMC for streaming local media.... and then WMC for live TV/PVR...

The green button brings up a WINKEY+P style graphical selection option for you to choose XBMC or WMC (when at a desktop).

When inside XBMC, the green button brings you back to the home screen, and when in WMC... well I guess it'd do nothing special, or do whatever it would by default...

This would give people the ability to have a single button give you the option of choosing whatever media centers you have present... and once one of those is launched and in the foreground.. this app selector just sleeps and ignores the green button presses and lets the running app manage what that button does.

HTPC Arctic MC101 -- A10 - 160GB ssd || HD-PLEX H.5 - Core i3 2100 - AMD 6450 - 64GB ssd
Equipment 70" Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD -- Onkyo TX-NR5008 -- Emotiva XPA-3 -- PS3 Slim 160GB
Speakers Paradigm Studio 100 v5 -- Paradigm Studio CC690 v5 -- Paradigm Studio Sub12 -- Paradigm Millenia ADP (surround and surround back)
MISC Standout Designs Haven 82 stand
This is possible but you need to create an interface to select xbmc and wmc.
I managed this with AutoIT and a few image logos from google search. It works exactly as I'd like Smile
HTPC Arctic MC101 -- A10 - 160GB ssd || HD-PLEX H.5 - Core i3 2100 - AMD 6450 - 64GB ssd
Equipment 70" Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD -- Onkyo TX-NR5008 -- Emotiva XPA-3 -- PS3 Slim 160GB
Speakers Paradigm Studio 100 v5 -- Paradigm Studio CC690 v5 -- Paradigm Studio Sub12 -- Paradigm Millenia ADP (surround and surround back)
This is an old thread, but though i'd add my .02 in case others were looking. I've been using this for months without issue. In addition, it's also helpful if XBMC happens to lose focus due to a windows update or some other program gaining focus. This used to happen frequently when my video card wanted to auto-update.

http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote

I do this with AutoHotkey and the following little script (technically you wouldn't need the whole "Process-Checking"):
Code:
;Win-Alt-Enter is the shortcut for greenbutton on the Remote for Windows
#!Enter::
    Process, Exist, XBMC.exe ;Is XBMC down?
    if (ErrorLevel = 0)
        Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe ;Start it
    else
        Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe ;Refocus on XBMC (by calling the exe, the process comes to front)

return

Simpler way would be:
Code:
#!Enter::Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-09-16, 12:16)trdmlc Wrote: http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote

That's actually the exe I launch when choosing XBMC, I don't call the xbmc.exe app directly. I've used that for a long time and it does work perfectly for me. though I still had to rename ehshell.exe to ehshell_m.exe and I call WMC by it's modified name in my little media selector script
For windows you can add the hotkey Eg alt-shift-q. Download the mce remote addon, change what ever button to the hotkey you choosed
(2012-09-16, 12:58)HenryFord Wrote: I do this with AutoHotkey and the following little script (technically you wouldn't need the whole "Process-Checking"):
Code:
#!Enter::
    Process, Exist, XBMC.exe ;Is XBMC down?
    if (ErrorLevel = 0)
        Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe ;Start it
    else
        Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe ;Refocus on XBMC (by calling the exe, the process comes to front)

return

Simpler way would be:
Code:
#!Enter::Run C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe

Thanks!
I disable windows media center in windows so that at least the green key on remote doesn't open windows MCE.
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - FiiO E10 - Fiio K5 Pro - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - BLON 03 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R - Apple Shuffle 2GB + Fiio M5.
XBMC > KODI with the good old MCE Remote. 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to make the green Play-Button on a MCE remote start XBMC instead of Windows Media1