guisettings.xml off limits ?
I did a manual edit of the file guisettings.xml located in \appdata\roaming\xbmc\userdata

The result was devastating. When I start xbmc again all settings are reverted to default. default skin is back etc..

Did I do anything wrong, is it it supposed to be like that ?

I'm using Eden-pvr b3 from http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Try using Notepad++ if you edit - easier to see if you break format.

Luckily XBMC can rebuild the default file.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Luckily XBMC can rebuild the default file.

Lucky yes, but for me who didn't backup the file before editing... lots of extra work.

Anyway I take it from your reply that you should indeed be able to edit the file.

Thank you for your reply! I will give it another try then, only this time backup first Big Grin
It can indeed be edited, and yes, backups are your friend Big Grin
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
wow, this is frustrating. Before guisettings.xml was reset xbmc was rock solid for 2 days. After reset I've had 1 addon crash when re-enabled, 2 lockups while hitting exit, and 1 lockup while changing channel.

Any hints about a cure? Complete wipe and reinstall ? I figure I got some stuff installed now that's not working because settings was reset ?
With a fresh guisettings.xml try uninstall/re-install your addons. If you're still having issues you need to paste a debug log.

Here's how.
I thought we were suppose to put any over-riding settings in advancedsettings.xml .
HTPC: Intel e6600 dual-core, ATI 5670 (HDMI), Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, Synology 12tb RAID-5 NAS
Software: Windows-10 Pro, Kodi v16.1
Home Theater: Onkyo 607 AVR, Epson 8350 Projector, Apple-TV4, BD-60 BluRay, Cisco DVR, Harmony 670
Speakers: Polk Audio Series II and Polk Subwoofer.
Two very different animals...

The OP doesn't say why he wanted to edit it manually, and I wouldn't recommend it as he found out. You are correct Tesla - advancedsettings.xml is normally where tweaks are made.
And yes many of the things in guisettings.xml can be overridden using advancedsettings.xml.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are there any plans to allow more of the things in guisettings.xml to be configured in advancedsettigs.xml? For example...

<viewstates>
<locale>
<services>
<skinsettings>

Or can these already be set and I'm just being stupid.
You mean like http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...I_settings
Yes, exactly like that.... I've tested again since your post and have seen that the <services> options are in fact working, however I've tried the following without success....

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <viewstates>
        <videonavtitles>
            <viewmode>459260</viewmode>
            <sortmethod>21</sortmethod>
            <sortorder>1</sortorder>
        </videonavtitles>
        <videonavtvshows>
            <viewmode>66040</viewmode>
            <sortmethod>25</sortmethod>
            <sortorder>1</sortorder>
        </videonavtvshows>
    </viewstates>
</advancedsettings>

In guisettings, <viewmode> is 65536 (big list) for both movies and tv shows. I'm trying to get it to change movies to 459260 which I believe to be fanart view so I've put the above into advancedsettings.xml but the views don't change.

Also, anything I put from <skinsettings> doesn't seem to make a difference either:

Code:
<skinsettings>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.homepageShowRecentlyAdded">true</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoMoviesButton">false</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoTVShowsButton">false</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoWeatherButton">true</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoPicturesButton">true</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoVideosButton">true</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoMusicButton">false</setting>
    <setting type="bool" name="skin.confluence.HomeMenuNoProgramsButton">true</setting>
</skinsettings>
r16hdj--

I have been trying to figure this out too and am just going to throw up my arms.

Glad I found this post at least. Knowing someone else wishes that you could put <skinsettings> and <viewstates> in advancedsettings.xml.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
guisettings.xml off limits ?0