T9 for writing
hi everybody
a long time ago, bitplane made a library to use remote control for typing text in python on xbmc.
as i am developping a messenger based on xmpp protocol, it was very usefull to type as fast as possible and virtual keyboard is not very easy to use...
so i made an example to test this library inside xbmc.

this is not a fully working and intersting script for common users but it is an example script. devs can use it to add this feature inside their scripts.

the example script is named "xbox demo t9.py"
edit this script to read some stuff about it at the very beginning.
edit this script as well if you want to test t9 with other languages. italian.dict , fr_fr.dict and en-br.dict are available. you can try to find some .dict file for your language on the www . if you need some help on how generate .dict, please ask your best friend (google) then ask here if your .dict does not work
.dict files are taken from ispell software

file is available for download on www.xbmcscripts.com
very cool... very needed!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
sweeet! i'm very happy someone's picked up on this, i did it as a "i wonder if i could make a t9 in python that uses no cpu or ram...". i didn't have an xbox to test it on at the time (still don't, but i sometimes stop by here to see how xbmc is progressing)
if i remember correctly, i used aspell for the english-british data files to keep it as legal as possible. there's probably no point in doing a us one cos i think it's only europeans that are sms crazy, and only a small percentage of them (the smart ones :d ) use predictive text.
anyway, big thumbs up to this :thumbsup:
very happy you write here Smile
i asked you how to use it some times ago... but didn't understand anything... lol
now that i am little better in scripting, and because i need it in one of my script, i tried again and succeed... for those who want to try python but can't release anything because they are beginner... , please be patient. python is easy ! you will succeed soon.
thanks again bitplane for you library ! it rocks (maybe some features need to be improved but it works)
if you have some free time and if you want, i can tell you what could be nice to improve... (such a feature to configure keys for each mode; maybe a blinking cursor and so on...
file is available :
http://www.xbmcscripts.com/index.p....ase=py9
here's what i think it needs...

blinking cursor- this would be nice. also no cursor and a lostfocus event/variable, so it can drop edit mode when you delete the last char or tab/move off the end/beginning of the text.
0 key should always be locked to "abc" mode and look like " 0\n\t", so you can send your message or tab out of edit mode
configuring the keys in each mode- pretty easy change, but there aren't enough keys on the remote!
allkeys also needs numbers adding so we can add words like "l8r", "m8", "rs232" like in the latest version of t9. also, delete word is missing but i dont think thats important

i'm writing a game atm so i can't see me picking up on any of this any time soon. everyone is welcome to expand on the library though - its for all of the interweb Smile

shameless plug: some early dev shots here here
Sorry for reserecting a very old thread but I was wondering about this topic and this thread seems to imply solexalex had something working...does anybody know whats happened since then about t9 predictive texting?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
T9 for writing0