Which Platform most stable for XBMC?
gquiring Wrote:My vote is Windows. I am a Unix admin with lots of Solaris and Linux experience. I started with XBMC on Ubunto and after about 2 months I threw the towel in and went Windows. I could not get stable sound and IR usage. I even tried CentOS and the exact same problems. Linux is great for server software but lacks with desktop needs.

Windows just works with no headaches. If your PC is dedicated to just XBMC keep Windows to a bare minimum of extra installs and its going to be fast and easy to maintain.

See I had the same experience with XBMCLive. I installed it and it worked (with MCE remote as well). Sound, video, remote, buttons, etc... everything worked out of the box. When I upgraded to Eden B1 and subsequent releases up to the recent RC1, I haven't lost anything or had to reconfigure. I upgrade, reboot and it works like before (or better!)
fryed_1 Wrote:but I know I get 7.1 (or 5.1)
It doesn't mean that it is bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD. If you can see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on your AVR as shown below, then it's bitstreaming!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Does Eden support this directly or do you need to install the HD codecs? Also can this be done with a TOS connection? I use DVI to HDMI with an optical link for audio.
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
gquiring Wrote:Does Eden support this directly or do you need to install the HD codecs? Also can this be done with a TOS connection? I use DVI to HDMI with an optical link for audio.
The released XBMC doesn't support bitstreaming, but you can try this "XBMC Beta3 + HD-Audio + Global AV Delay". It's created by DDD!

You will need to connect your system this way to bitstream- HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via two HDMI cables!
Is this covered in the FAQ somewhere? Because this is a really basic question, and I'm surprised it even needs to be asked. Don't get me wrong, I want to know the answer too, I'm just wondering why it isn't clearly stated somewhere for noobs like us.

I'd love a summary of the pros and cons of each one.

For example: Is it true that windows is the only OS that can support HD audio? While simultaneously being the only OS that can NOT support airplay music streaming? That's quite the dillemma.
bluray Wrote:It doesn't mean that it is bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD. If you can see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on your AVR as shown below, then it's bitstreaming!

Then yes, my samsung avr shows DTS/Dolby or whatever on nearly all HD movies I have (xbmc will usually list them with one of the 5.1/7.1/dts/etc tags next to the codec and all the other iconized info.

When in that mode (on the AVR) I don't have the option for sound effects and all that since it wants to play the native 6 channel format. When it DOESN'T show DTS, I can do all the prologic or whatever effects.
gquiring Wrote:Does Eden support this directly or do you need to install the HD codecs? Also can this be done with a TOS connection? I use DVI to HDMI with an optical link for audio.

I had to install a SPDIF cable internally from the SPDIF-out pins on the mobo (not the SPDIF on the back) to the passthrough connector on my video card.

Then I go DVI-HDMI directly into the back of my stereo, then HDMI out to my TV from there. Let the stereo handle routing the video/audio.
I'm planning on running XBMC with an i3 2120T using the IGPU. Will use HDMI for image and mini-TOSLINK (S/PDIF) for audio.

Originally planning on using Ubuntu so my question is in terms of performance and stability -> Windows or XBMC for this hardware?
Having XBMC on 3 windows machine, an Mac air and atv2. The windows machine run the best, hands down no questions asked.
nooryani84 Wrote:I'm planning on running XBMC with an i3 2120T using the IGPU. Will use HDMI for image and mini-TOSLINK (S/PDIF) for audio.

Originally planning on using Ubuntu so my question is in terms of performance and stability -> Windows or XBMC for this hardware?

The IGPU has been the most problematic - would recommend ATI card, esp if you go with windows, not so much for Linux due to drivers.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
fryed_1 Wrote:Then yes, my samsung avr shows DTS/Dolby or whatever on nearly all HD movies I have (xbmc will usually list them with one of the 5.1/7.1/dts/etc tags next to the codec and all the other iconized info.
What is the model of your Samsung AVR and how did you connected your HTPC to it? I let you know if it is capable of bitstreaming!

fryed_1 Wrote:When in that mode (on the AVR) I don't have the option for sound effects and all that since it wants to play the native 6 channel format. When it DOESN'T show DTS, I can do all the prologic or whatever effects.
If you are bitstreaming un-molested DTS-HD/TrueHD, your AVR should displayed DTS-HD/TrueHD.
bluray Wrote:What is the model of your Samsung AVR and how did you connected your HTPC to it? I let you know if it is capable of bitstreaming!

If you are bitstreaming un-molested DTS-HD/TrueHD, your AVR should displayed DTS-HD/TrueHD.

He is not, pretty obvious by his video card now stay on topic.

I rock a mix of Windows 7 (for locations that need DTS-HD/TrueHD) and Openelec for locations that don't. They are both stable but can't comment on speed of boot/scrolling since they all have different hardware.
bluray Wrote:What is the model of your Samsung AVR and how did you connected your HTPC to it? I let you know if it is capable of bitstreaming!

What would you recommend for a video card to work with XBMC and HD audio's? I currently have a Geforce 8400 GS with DVI to HDMI and a optical link for audio. Since I need HDMI to do HD audio I would like to get a new video card. My PC is PCIe 1 but I assume the PCIe 2 cards work?
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
gquiring Wrote:What would you recommend for a video card to work with XBMC and HD audio's? I currently have a Geforce 8400 GS with DVI to HDMI and a optical link for audio. Since I need HDMI to do HD audio I would like to get a new video card. My PC is PCIe 1 but I assume the PCIe 2 cards work?
This one will playback everything- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB!

HTPC has an nvidia 9800gt in it. It has an SPDIF connector on it for passthrough audio. I have an internal SPDIF connector on the mobo that plugs into the vid card. Then have a DVI-HDMI cable that goes directly from the vid card to the stereo.

FYI I don't think my stereo supports dts-hd or truehd sound. Just standard DTS audio, which it detects and plays correctly.

So when I said that I just "plug it in and go" I meant that for the capabilities my equipment has, which I'm completely satisfied and content with, it just "works".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Platform most stable for XBMC?0