XBMC Beta and OSD controls position
Question 
Hello,

in older XBMC, you had the OSD play controls (not sure if its called like that) positioned above. That was good, because it wouldnt disturb eg subtitles and such.

Now, the OSD controls are positioned below which I find annoying.

I was searching google for info about this with not much of success. I know in software like ZoomPlayer where you can change such things. However, I couldnt find something equivalent here.
Would it require a tweak in the skin itself or does anyone know any setting?

In case of a skin-modification - does anyone have any clue where to start? Even better would be if someone who already did solve this shared with us how the skin was tweaked.

Thanks.
Skin modification. VideoOSD.xml You probably want to mess around with DialogFullScreenInfo.xml as well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Skin modification. VideoOSD.xml You probably want to mess around with DialogFullScreenInfo.xml as well.

I threw together the changes. Because any modifications to the default confluence theme will get overwritten when you do an upgrade, I stuck the entire modded skin on my github. You can download it from https://github.com/pkscout/skin.confluen.../downloads. Just click the Download as .zip option. Once you download it, I would rename the zip file to skin.confluence_mod_osd.zip. You don't have to, but if you don't, the skin folder gets named funny (you'll never notice it in the XBMC GUI though). Once you have the zip, put in somewhere XBMC can see it and go into the addons and select to install from zip.

If you have already moded the skin or just want to change the two files, it required changes in VideoFullScreen.xml and VideoOSD.xml. Both are in the skin.confluence/720p directory. You can either use the pastebins below or get the individual files from my github.

VideoFullScreen.xml pastebin
http://pastebin.com/dh1qNTUx

VideoOSD.xml pastebin
http://pastebin.com/Yix36Hr6

Hope that helps. I did a little testing with TV shows, and it seems fine. I didn't try any movies, but I'm pretty sure it should be fine. Worst case scenario the movie cover art will bleed off the top of the screen a bit (but I don't think so).
pkscout: thanks a million!
I was just about to give it a try - I had to install an older version of XBMC just to copy the two files to have as reference when I was about to compare.
Then I saw you had posted an answer.

Also, your files were very useful for me to learn from. I could compare the original file with yours and find out what you did. The cover art was a bit different positioned, but that is not a problem now that I know where to change.

But I have some questions; why did you suggest that I should rename the ZIP file? I was a little quick and simply unpacked the content of it and put it into the addon-folder. It worked. Are there different ways, eg keep the ZIP intact?

Second: Is the whole OSD play control one block or do you think the sub-elements can be moved around, eg the cover art , some buttons, etc? Because if you remember the old way it looked, the buttons where differently placed than they are now (not only moved from top to bottom).

Oh, and one last question: How do you guys work, when you mod the skin? Do you type by hand or is there any graphical interface (additional software) for doing such stuff?
Josefin Wrote:But I have some questions; why did you suggest that I should rename the ZIP file? I was a little quick and simply unpacked the content of it and put it into the addon-folder. It worked. Are there different ways, eg keep the ZIP intact?
It really doesn't matter if you didn't rename it. It's mostly an OCD thing with me. The zip unpacks with a name something like pkscout-skin.confluence_mod_osd. That just means it isn't grouped with the other skin folders if you go looking for it. The name of the folder won't affect anything at all.

Quote:Second: Is the whole OSD play control one block or do you think the sub-elements can be moved around, eg the cover art , some buttons, etc? Because if you remember the old way it looked, the buttons where differently placed than they are now (not only moved from top to bottom).

I believe the image, the text, the slider, and the buttons are separate element groups, so moving those around is pretty easy. You could move the text around as well, but unless you breakup that group, you are confined to the space defined by that particular control group.

Quote:Oh, and one last question: How do you guys work, when you mod the skin? Do you type by hand or is there any graphical interface (additional software) for doing such stuff?

I use a text editor. The skins are just XML files. On my Mac I have TextWrangler. On my PC I use NotePad++. I mostly do the work on my Mac.
pkscuot: Would you please take a look at this:

I modified your VideoOSD.xml a tiny bit to get closer to the older look - btw, great thanks again for leading me into the right direction. It is quite hard to understand these XML files. Even though they are logic in a way, they are a complete mess for an untrained eye.

If you dont mind, please do these changes so you see how it looks on my XBMC

Before:
Row 45-46
<posx>325</posx>
<posy>565r</posy>

Row 146
<posy>565r</posy>

After:
Row 45-46
<posx>295r</posx>
<posy>680r</posy>

Row 146
<posy>635r</posy>

The problem: Now that I did put the play-controls above the toggle buttons (subtitle and stuff), I thought I could navigate like it was possible before, using up/down to jump from button to button.
But appearently, the button order is set somewhere else and has nothing to do with how you place your buttons in the XML.

How can I adjust the navigation?

Hope I was clear enough.
pkscuot: Never mind, I managed to fix it on my own!
It appears to be the <onup> and <ondown> tags plus the id's. I had to add an ID for one of the groups because it was missing.

But instead I wanted to ask you about something you mentioned before, that the change might be overwritten when I update.
Can I store my changes somewhere "local" so that it overrides the skin? Just like I did with the keyboard.xml setting (which I stored under the user folder)?
thank you very much!
that's what I was looking for

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Beta and OSD controls position0