• 2(current)
[Linux] kodivc - a program for controlling Kodi with simple voice commands
@Kempniu
No rush, first i'm going to try to get it running on OpenELEC and when that is done you probably have it updated Tongue
Okay, I've just pushed the current stable version (0.3) to the master branch. New features include:

- support for JSON-RPC API v6 (Frodo),
- support for new commands (VOLUME 10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90/MAX, REPEAT ALL/ONE/OFF),
- support for optional command arguments (e.g. saying REPEAT without an argument will cause XBMC to cycle through available repeat modes; explicit arguments will work as well; Frodo only),
- single-word access to several XBMC windows (MUSIC, PICTURES, PROGRAMS, SETTINGS, TV, VIDEOS, WEATHER; Frodo only),
- locking/unlocking to prevent accidental usage - please see README for details,
- GUI notifications (Frodo only).

Testing, comments, feature requests and bug reports are welcome as usual. Please don't expect specific deadlines, though.

Download here or checkout current master.
I have setup a PPA repository to make installation easier for folks who want to try xbmcvc out on XBMCbuntu (or plain Ubuntu). Updated installation instructions can be found in the README.
Hmm, going to try this one out later. Last time I tried, I had a problem "making" sphinxbase if I remember. Is there a nice easy ubuntu script for installing it anywhere?
Just check out the installation instructions. Five copy-and-paste commands is all it takes. If the instructions are not clear, please let me know.
Got it all, run the command. And it wouldn't respond. I just looked like an idiot shouting things at the TV..

I guess I gotta check out my sound settings.
Try the test mode first. It's not yet described in the README, so here's a crash course: launch xbmcvc with the -t switch, then enter space-separated commands in ALL CAPS, confirming each batch by pressing ENTER. Example:

Code:
LEFT TWO SELECT<ENTER>

It's probably a good idea to also disable locking for testing, so add the -l (that's a lowercase L, not a capital I) switch to the command line as well (which lands you with xbmcvc -t -l).

If the test mode works fine (your XBMC instance responds to these commands), it's most probably an ALSA issue. If you launch xbmcvc without any command line switches and you get a Ready for listening! message, it means everything is fine with your pocketsphinx installation. Check ALSA capture levels and devices - this differs between soundcards, so I can't give you any specific pointers (just mess around with alsamixer).

If the test mode doesn't work, I'd like to know about it.
This works, must be my sound settings then. Thanks!

EDIT: Any way to edit commands? Say if I said "Videos" it could run the command to open up Films?
There's no way to change command bindings for now (other than modifying the source code), but even if there was, it still wouldn't enable you to achieve what you want as even the Frodo JSON-RPC API doesn't allow opening the "Movies" window instantly (here's a list of all windows which can be opened instantly - click the topmost [show] link to view).
Can you try running xbmcvc as root?
You are most probably right about the recording volume. If xbmcvc can hear something at all, but not predictably nor in a timely manner, your recording volume is probably too low or too high. Also, look out for options like "Mic Boost" in alsamixer - they can be a gamechanger. Proper ALSA setup is something really machine- and environment-specific, so I can't give you any specific hints.
I've done some more coding. New features in current master (as well as in latest PPA version), compared to v0.3:

- new spelling mode (Frodo only),
- support for JSON-RPC username/password,
- logging to a file or to syslog,
- daemon mode.

I've also finally managed to properly document the whole thing. Check out the README for an extensive explanation of how to use the application.

Note for current users: latest version uses UPWARDS and DOWNWARDS instead of UP and DOWN, respectively, due to a poor recognition of the UP command.

This is as far as this project goes for now. I'll appreciate any kind of testing. If you have any issues, questions or suggestions, feel free to report. If there are no major issues, I'll tag the current master as v0.4 some time later.
Hello Kempniu,

many thanks for developing xbmcvc, it works pretty well and it has great potential.

At the weekend I installed xbmcvc using a virtual machine running Ubuntu (this
seems to be the easiest way for all users), controlling XBMC local network instances
(PC and Raspberry Pi). Then i compiled it directly on my Linux PC and since today
it runs on my old Nokia N900, N9 will follow :-)

In the past I wrote a simple shell script myself which i called 'Poor man's Siri
resp. Google Now' (mee42.sh - http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?s=f31...ostcount=1)
using a well known method for Google's Voice API as I encountered really bad results
using (pocket)sphinx regarding recognition accuracy. And now it is vice versa, switching
from recognition of sentences to recognition of a certain class of single words makes
a huge difference.

Instead of rewriting and extending my stuff in Python i will just test your C code :-)

1. Accuracy: This is something you can not solve on your side. I am not a native English
speaker, maybe that is the reason, 80-90% are not enough if you drop down the menus to home.
I tried removing everything i do not use from the model directory, i.e.
"CONTEXT TV T_V PROGRAMS SETTINGS MENU SHUFFLE UNSHUFFLE REPEAT OFF TWENTY
THIRTY FORTY FIFTY SIXTY SEVENTY EIGHTY SPELL"
2. Segmentation faults: Switching several times from XBMC to normal mode and back seems
to crash the application.

Feature request:
a. I would appreciate if you can add "FAVOURITES" to your code, I think the API supports this.
b. I understand xbmcvc as a client to the XBMC server. Maybe it is a good idea to implement an
XBMC addon which provides acoustic feedback using espeak etc telling the user where he is in
the XBMC tree (thinking of blind people).

Blues
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] kodivc - a program for controlling Kodi with simple voice commands2