• 1(current)
[Linux] kodivc - a program for controlling Kodi with simple voice commands
NOTE: This project was formerly called xbmcvc. As our favorite media center software changed its name to Kodi, I have renamed my project accordingly, to kodivc. Despite the name change, all versions since 11.0 Eden are still supported.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have created a small Linux utility called xbmcvc for controlling XBMC with simple voice commands. It uses CMU Sphinx for speech recognition.

You can find installation instructions at the project's main page at GitHub. I've done my best to ensure the application is stable, yet without a wider user base I cannot guarantee it won't occasionally segfault or work incorrectly.

Dharma is not supported. Any Eden beta version will suffice (JSON-RPC API version 3 or newer is required).

Anyone who would like to try the program out should feel free to do so. Even though application's capabilities are currently modest, to say the least, it can already do some useful stuff.

For further information, please consult the README file (available at the project's main page at GitHub).
Gonna try this out right now on my ubuntu setup, hope I can get through the technical parts.
Just write if you have any difficulties. I'm still learning pocketsphinx myself, but I might be able to help you resolve any problems with setting up xbmcvc.
Hi there,

I've followed your great project xbmcvc. All went smooth till I got to final execution of xbmcvc.

It says Fatal error at xbmcvc.c:514: Failed to open audio device
I am running Mythbuntu 11.10 32bit, I've added Mythtv to audio group.

Do you have any idea how can I troubleshoot this error.

Thank is advance. Regards Ondra
Can you try running xbmcvc with root privileges? It looks like there's something wrong with either permissions or ALSA configuration on your system.
I will let you know when I have a possibility to run it as a root. I've found out that xbmcvc can be run with -D parameter to specify name of the sound card.
What is the format for name of sound card. Can you give me some example.
Thx Ondra
It looks like an ALSA issue. If you don't specify the device (or PCM, using ALSA vocabulary) using the -D command line switch, xbmcvc tries to access ALSA's default PCM which translates to hw:0,0. You can read more about ALSA PCMs here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.p...CM_devices

If you are unable to access the default device even with root privileges, it points towards an ALSA issue. To confirm that, you can try running the following commands:

Code:
arecord -r 16000 test.wav
arecord -D plughw:0,0 -r 16000 test.wav

If you get the same error, it means your ALSA configuration is probably broken and it's not an xbmcvc issue. You can list all available PCMs in your system by running "arecord -L".
currently I have vox on win7 64 w/eden. I am a qaudriplegic so I always use vc and will be testing soon and often.

If I use xbmcvc with xbmcbuntu on a sdhc would the speed & performance be noticable?
If you're referring to VoxCommando, you'll be surprised how little xbmcvc is capable of Smile But regarding your question, I don't expect xbmcvc to impact your system's performance in a noticable way, though you won't know for sure without testing.

PS. Note there has also been a "bleeding edge" branch present on GitHub for some time now with a few more commands than the "master" branch.
Will this version run on the XBMC 12 without modification? I haven't had any success thus far, but my remote control currently isn't working at all with Beta1 so XBMC may be the culprit. Personally, I'd like to see more use of speech recognition despite its novelty. True, speech recognition has quite a ways to go to match the performance of an IR remote control.
Basic stuff should work, though you should expect problems with some commands due to Frodo API changes. I'll probably update the app some time in the predictable future, though the lack of interest (while expected) isn't exactly motivating Smile
(2012-11-19, 10:56)Kempniu Wrote: Basic stuff should work, though you should expect problems with some commands due to Frodo API changes. I'll probably update the app some time in the predictable future, though the lack of interest (while expected) isn't exactly motivating Smile

Actually, I'm having difficulty with other speech recognition applications as well, e.g. Speechlion. Many distributions of GNU/Linux have recently switched to OpenJDK due to Oracle's shenanigans and OpenJDK SEEMS to have difficulty with applications using input via microphones. I've since switched to Oracle's version of JDK and still haven't been able to process input via a microphone.... I'll keep working on the issue, but consider my request for a new update of xbmcvc as motivation. Wink
Anyone got this working on OpenELEC? (Frodo)
Hello,

just stubbled upon this thread. I think speech recognition is ONE of still missing features in XBMC.

I would like to help on updating it to Frodo's new API, but I am not a C++ coder at all. I could help with bug testing and so on.

Kempniu: This is a good feature, please keep working on it! When it becomes more useable more people will like it!
I do appreciate your interest. It's just that work and family stuff seems to use up most of my time these days and I really can't promise any deadlines. Be assured, though, that I haven't abandoned this project just yet Smile
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] kodivc - a program for controlling Kodi with simple voice commands2