XBMC crashes after resuming from paused video
Memphiz Wrote:My crystal ball says it will be the same in RC2 and most likly in Eden final ...

Well. Anything I can contribute to prevent this from happening?
rstockm Wrote:Well. Anything I can contribute to prevent this from happening?

I think what he's trying to say is the issue is probably in your config files and not in XBMC itself.

I'd take another go at the FAQs to see if something there'll fix it (i.e. maybe it's as simple as running 'chmod -R' on your XBMC folder). If that doesn't work I'd backup my userdata folder, uninstall and reinstall XBMC clean (fresh set of configs).

A clean install would narrow down the issue to your config files.
No what i wanted to say is - noone of the ios devs can reproduce it (mhh when i think right there are only 2 ios devs haha). So we don't have a chance to look into it ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-03-01, 10:50)Memphiz Wrote: No what i wanted to say is - noone of the ios devs can reproduce it (mhh when i think right there are only 2 ios devs haha). So we don't have a chance to look into it ...

Why would this issue be limited to the scrutiny of the iOS devs? My install of XBMC (eden 11 beta) runs on a Mac Mini and has the exact same problems reported on this thread (media is on a Samsung 2TB G3 Station plugged to an Airport router usb port). It's not an AppleTV XBMC specific bug, it's a mainline XBMC bug.

It also crashes like hell when browsing a recently scraped folder for the first time. Seriously annoying.

Cheers,
Ollie.
(2012-03-25, 04:09)olliegn Wrote:
(2012-03-01, 10:50)Memphiz Wrote: No what i wanted to say is - noone of the ios devs can reproduce it (mhh when i think right there are only 2 ios devs haha). So we don't have a chance to look into it ...

Why would this issue be limited to the scrutiny of the iOS devs? My install of XBMC (eden 11 beta) runs on a Mac Mini and has the exact same problems reported on this thread (media is on a Samsung 2TB G3 Station plugged to an Airport router usb port). It's not an AppleTV XBMC specific bug, it's a mainline XBMC bug.

It also crashes like hell when browsing a recently scraped folder for the first time. Seriously annoying.

Cheers,
Ollie.

Well, for starters, the iOS devs are also OS X devs. The real issue is this: we can't fix a problem we can't reproduce. I've never had this happen to me when I used my Airport router and XBMC for iOS, Mac OS X, or Windows.
In my case, with XBMC accessing a Time Capsule (AFP) and if the drive has spun down, XBMC will lock up or crash. For the longest time aTVflash had a similar issue with AFP that they have managed to rectify by, I believe, adding a wait state, so the drive can spin up. It's funny how with SMB and XBMC it all works fine, but the problem I have with this setup, at least with the time capsule, is the bandwidth isn't there most 720p videos buffer and they don't with AFP. I am hard wired right to the Time Capsule.

My 2 cents

Thanks

Steve

Same problem here.

- ATV2 4.4.4
- XBMC Eden 11
- WesternDigital Disk 2TB attached to Airport Extreme, ATV hooked up over ethernet.
- AFP

- I can reproduce it everytime: As soon as the drive is inactive for too long (about 3 minutes) and I want to
resume or start a film, XBMC crashes.

I too have the same problem with my Time Capsule /ATV2 /XBMC setup.

If I access the Time Capsule folder where I store my movies via my MacBook to "wake up" the drive before using XBMC, then XBMC does not crash. Only if the drive goes to sleep do I have the problem.

A work around I use, which isn't the best but works, is to install a program on my MacBook called "Keep Drive Spinning". As the name suggests, it keeps the drive from sleeping. Only problem is that my MacBook needs to be on in order for it to work and keeping the drive spinning isn't the best for longevity of the drive.
in fact it is the best for hard drives to keep them spinning. Spinup and down puts more load on the mechanics then just keeping it spinning.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-04-16, 02:30)antelopeslr5000 Wrote: A work around I use, which isn't the best but works, is to install a program on my MacBook called "Keep Drive Spinning". As the name suggests, it keeps the drive from sleeping. Only problem is that my MacBook needs to be on in order for it to work and keeping the drive spinning isn't the best for longevity of the drive.

Nice fix! Now, if only XBMC could do this itself.
(2012-04-16, 23:25)shock Wrote: Nice fix! Now, if only XBMC could do this itself.

Yes, it would be great. Not that I would have a clue how to implement it but it would seem quite a simple fix.

It's almost like XBMC just needs to wait that little bit longer for the drive to wake up. Is there a time limit before XBMC returns an "Operation Timed Out" error? Maybe increasing this time limit slightly might help with the problem?

If you are able to crash the XBMC consistently I suggest creating a new ticket with the issue tracking system ( http://trac.xbmc.org/ ).

From my experience the "Operation Timed Out" differs depending on the share. On a system that shares exactly the same files with both NFS and samba, the NFS has a "longer" time out than SMB. The "time out" setting might be embedded deeper into the libraries (libsmbclient, libnfs, libafpclient, ...) which makes it hard for XBMC devs to make it available to us.
It's an easily replicated crash.

What I'll do is:

1st, start a movie with the Time Capsule hard drive awake. (It will play the movie fine.)

2nd, I'll stop the movie & wait for the Time Capsule hard drive to go to sleep. Then I'll attempt to play the same movie. (XBMC will crash and reboot to the ATV2 springboard.)

3rd. Get the xbmc.log file and it should provide some info hopefully as to what maybe causing the crash.
This crash is already known. You don't need to gather any more information about it. We can't do anything about it for now. Maybe the successor of libafpclient will handle this more gracefully...
(2012-04-16, 02:30)antelopeslr5000 Wrote: A work around I use, which isn't the best but works, is to install a program on my MacBook called "Keep Drive Spinning". As the name suggests, it keeps the drive from sleeping. Only problem is that my MacBook needs to be on in order for it to work

Any chance to have something like this running natively on the ATV?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes after resuming from paused video0