Smallest, most quiet setup for XBMC
Orclas Wrote:I bought a HP branded OVU4003/00 IR receiver (same as this one) which worked straight out of the box, no settings needed in XBMC, but with one exception - the menu button didn't work. That was with the Harmony 700 set to "MCE". Fact is, it wasn't even to be found in the Harmony GUI, but some googling later I tried setting the Harmony to "MCE-1039" and then also the menu button worked properly and without any further due.

I personally also prefered a black receiver, since it disappears nicely against the black color of my TV furniture.

Edit: I may add that I don't use any kind of keyboard functionality, the Shuttle acts as a pure playback machine and any admin (which has been none so far after the initial install) is done via Putty.

In case you run into any kind of problems when installing openELEC, this excellent guide may be of use (although I'm unsure how much OE and XBMC Live has in common under the hood).

Thanks for both the links! I already ordered the HP one, but was thinking about tinkering with a solution I can embed into the furniture for later.

I will also only use it as a media center. All my files are on a NAS and I do processing from my desktop PC using Ember Media Manager. Hopefully, I can get this box to work like a pure player Smile
pedgaard Wrote:+1 for XS35GT

I have two units, and 100 % quiet with SSD disks.

where can i get one in the us
tiwas Wrote:Also, openElec seems like the way to go Smile
If you're going to use OpenElec, you could skip the SSD and boot off of a USB stick - or even boot it over the network with PXE. SSD's are nice, but if you're looking to save a few bucks...
teaguecl Wrote:If you're going to use OpenElec, you could skip the SSD and boot off of a USB stick - or even boot it over the network with PXE. SSD's are nice, but if you're looking to save a few bucks...

Aye, definitely. Do get a quality USB stick though, cheap one tends to fail after a while. As for which particular ones, search the forum (or even better, do a targeted google search with "site:forum.xbmc.org"), I know there was a thread about this a few months ago.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
lagledavid Wrote:where can i get one in the us

Newegg for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...Tpk=xs35gt
I ordered this one: http://www.norek.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=634289#extra

It's not the fastest one, but it won't stick too far out of the box. I mean - what's the use of getting a tiny computer if there's a long USB stick pointing out? Also, it seems it's made for continuous backups, which should hopefully make it durable Smile
tiwas Wrote:I ordered this one: http://www.norek.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=634289#extra

It's not the fastest one, but it won't stick too far out of the box. I mean - what's the use of getting a tiny computer if there's a long USB stick pointing out? Also, it seems it's made for continuous backups, which should hopefully make it durable Smile

If you want to play it safe, and have the SW, you can also finish your install and settings and then make an image backup of the entire drive and in case it fails.
Orclas Wrote:If you want to play it safe, and have the SW, you can also finish your install and settings and then make an image backup of the entire drive and in case it fails.

That was actually my plan - to just dump an iso onto the NAS Smile USB sticks are so cheap these days that it doesn't really matter. And it'll only really use it for booting anyway, so I can throw cheap sticks at the computer all day Big Grin
Aye, but just remember that scraping takes time, so if you add content regularly, you also need to make regular images.
An iPad 2 makes an awesome XBMC setup! It's bigger than the ATV2 but includes the screen!
Orclas Wrote:Aye, but just remember that scraping takes time, so if you add content regularly, you also need to make regular images.

Hmmm...even if I use Ember to scrape and save the XML files? That kind of changes things a bit, but I mean - one large scrape every 4 months is less than I have to do with my current setup...
tiwas Wrote:Hmmm...even if I use Ember to scrape and save the XML files?

I have no clue tbh. If you want to do it properly there's some setup with SQL server, which also allows for shared played etc tags. As for how that works, I have come that far with XBMC yet (i.e. google it).
Orclas Wrote:I have no clue tbh. If you want to do it properly there's some setup with SQL server, which also allows for shared played etc tags. As for how that works, I have come that far with XBMC yet (i.e. google it).

Thanks for the heads up. I usually don't have too much on my player anyway. There are some TV shows I'm saving for when I'm really, really REALLY bored out of my head. Other than that, I delete what I've watched.

I wonder if it's possible to get a SATA to SD with RAID functionality. Would be cool to mirror the boot drive on cheap storage Big Grin
The media center is now up and running beautifully. There are a couple of gotchas, but I guess that's more with me being inexperienced with XBMC Wink

Will try to move my sick beard and couch potato onto the box one of these days Smile
Congrats!

Did you end up buying the Shuttle?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smallest, most quiet setup for XBMC0