Recover accidentally deleted library
Hello All,

Everything was working fine for me untill the disaster doomed to happen.....happened....something like the unfortunate small events from the Final Destination series....hehe

My XBMC box (Dell Studio Hybrid 140g Running Windows 7 XBMC 10.1) is connected via router to the shared network storage (placed in the other room) containing all the digital video media (the movie files). The shared drives are mapped as local SAMBA drives on the XBMC box. My library of 1500+ movies was fine and up to date.

Usually instead of turning the XBMC box completely off, I put it to sleep mode for a speedier response time whenever I want to use it. Instead of starting from a cold boot if the Windows OS wakes up from the sleep mode it does not checks whether the connected network shared drives are available or not, it assumes the state they were in when the box was put in sleep mode (instead of fresh start where the Windows startup screen takes an unusually longer time waiting for the network shared drive letters to become available).

I woke the XBMC box, and thought that the network shares would be available. Then before playing any movie, I thought that I should clean the library to get rid of extra movie entries, for which I have actually deleted the movie file/folder from the network drives.

Unfortunately i did not know that there is a power outage in the next room for the wifi router adapter (in which both NAS and the XBMC box are plugged in), which resultantly made the network shared drives unavailable to the XBMC box.

Hence when I ran the "Clean Library" option fron XBMC , it went and searched for the network shares (which were disconnected at the while) and assumed that all movies files are not available now, and as a result deleted all of my movie library......can you believe the utmost anti-serendipity.

Guess it was plain bad luck, i was unaware that NAS is disconnected, and XBMC did the right thing it is programmed to do.

So is there any way to recover my deleted library, instead of scraping and manually correcting numerous entries for a huge movie collection.

Plus is there any way in the upcoming XBMC 11.x Eden to implement any safety option to prevent such kind of accidental purging of the movie library.

Thanks for reading and guidance.
Best way to prevent it happening again is to export your library in the settings.
Only takes a few minutes to import it should the worst happen.
Afaik you'll have to rescrape if you don't have a back up.
I'm no expert though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recover accidentally deleted library0