Copy Speed Question
Well, I ended up deciding to go with WHS 2011 and tried FlexRAID for a while but had a gut feeling that development would stop so I installed StableBit Drivepool. Works wonderfully, installs as an add-in and I added drives to the pool very easily. I created my folders, shared them and started copying files. I started with my TV shows all of which are SD so far so there is about 500GB. The copy across my gigabit ethernet is going at about 8-9 MB/s. Is that a normal speed? It's estimating about 10 hours to complete. I have just shy of 2TB of movies so that would have it taking about 2 days to copy. That doesn't sound right at all. Before I decided to do the server thing, I had my box connected right to the TV and I was ripping and copying movies in a matter of minutes, not hours. Does this sound like maybe a router issue? I have an Apple Time Capsule.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I ran into same problem before and about to tear my hair out that my transfer speed would not exceed 11MB/s. But then realized that i forgot to change my ethernet cable which bump my speed to 50MB/s on average, make sure your ethernet cable is cat5e or cat6.
Well it was copying fast before though. Do you think the wrong cable from my server to the router could really be the culprit? I already ordered a new router to pick up from Best Buy lol. Been looking for something that can handle my Wideband internet anyways.

What if I copy files to a USB 3 hard drive and then copy them on the server? Is the speed difference worth it?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
any of the cables (cable btw server to router or from router to main pc) would cause the decrease in transfer speed because of bottleneck. I do not think your router is the problem since it has gigabit port. I would check your cable first, since that much cheaper to replace than the router (monoprice.com)
I ordered 2 new cables, I'll let you know how I make out.
On a related note to this I've been having weird issues with my wireless devices downloading really slow and my wireless printer seems to have lost connection. Could this be something that WHS has done or what?
OK, for anyone interested, I changed cables and still got slow speeds. I pulled my Time Capsule and installed a new Netgear and now my copies to the server are going at about 110MB/s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copy Speed Question0