What video to use
I recently happened across xbmc and what it can do and am super excited. SO I have pieced together a PC for it of stuff lying around as my first experience with it. Going to hook it up to a 46" LCD tv but maybe carry it over to a 60" 3d tv as well. I have 3 options for a video card and I cant seem to figure out for myself which option would be best. I was hoping someone could shed some light for me and help a brother out.

First option:
Motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-V Pro so it has onboard HDMI out. I could output video through the HDMI and sound from the optical or sound from the HDMI port and video from the DVI-D port to my tv.

Second option:
EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP

Third option:
EVGA 9800 GTX

I want the ability to play anything and play 3d.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read!
i suggest you read the forum stickies.
They do not directly answer my questions. it says for 3d get a gt430. well i do not want to buy hardware, I have a bunch of options already. My 295 can run circles around that 430 but cant do dx11 which does not have any bearing as I am not playing games on XBMC or the PC. A 295 can do 3d vision surround so does that mean I can output 3d video from it through DVI-D? Can it not do 3d and I should just use the on board video from my motherboard and not waste the power?

If I cant do 3d then is it a good option to use the 9800 instead of relying on the on board video as it will perform better?

Unless I am blind the stickies in this part of the forum do not answer my questions which is why I made a post.
vask Wrote:I want the ability to play anything and play 3d.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read!
For 3D video and bitstreaming HD audio, I'm suggesting Windows 7 machine with AMD HD6570 discrete GPU. Smile

If you haven't pick a CPU, you can go with the all-in-one "AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Quad-Core". It'll playback everything in your list without adding a discrete GPU. It included 2.9GHz quad-core CPU and HD6550D iGPU! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I super appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am actually trying to use what I have and not buy anything.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Processor: i5-2400 3.1Ghz Quad-Core
RAM: Corsair 8G

The motherboard I have has an on board Intel graphics from the Z68 chipset which they call iGPU.

So with that said if my 295 can not do 3d(which I still do not know if it can and am hoping someone can answer if it can) with whats on board is there a point to using the 9800 GTX or 295 if neither can do 3d? If none of my 3 options do 3d then I will be happy to forgo that part.
vask Wrote:I super appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am actually trying to use what I have and not buy anything.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Processor: i5-2400 3.1Ghz Quad-Core
RAM: Corsair 8G

The motherboard I have has an on board Intel graphics from the Z68 chipset which they call iGPU.

So with that said if my 295 can not do 3d(which I still do not know if it can and am hoping someone can answer if it can) with whats on board is there a point to using the 9800 GTX or 295 if neither can do 3d? If none of my 3 options do 3d then I will be happy to forgo that part.
Well, you can try to build with what you have in hand. If you don't like the quality and ease of playback, you spend $65 on discrete GPU I suggested above! Smile
Can a GTX 295 output 3d?
vask Wrote:Can a GTX 295 output 3d?
According to Nvidia website, both GeForce GTX 295 and GTX 9800 supports 3D, but I'm not sure how hard it is to make it work. You can give with a shot! Smile
i believe the i5-2400 is capable of playing Full 1080P 3D side-by-side
See I could not find that information for the life of me, all I could find is them talking about 3d vision and I am not trying to do that.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Guess I will give my 295 a shot and see what happens.
eskro Wrote:i believe the i5-2400 is capable of playing Full 1080P 3D side-by-side

Because I am dense does that mean I do not need to use my 295 and could just use the on board video outs and achieve 1080p 3d?
well, your CPU has onboard video...

and your CPU is strong enough for 3d playback, im pretty sure
thank you eskro and bluray. going to button up my cpu and install windows and learn to configure xbmc and stuffs ;P.
right on!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What video to use0