Erasing Hard Drives...
I just replaced my HDD with an SSD in my HTPC, and now I'm looking to sell the HDD on eBay.

I got rid of my old files on the hDD by just going to Disk Management in Windows 7, and just deleting the volume. Afterwards, I just created a new, empty volume.

Will this suffice in getting rid of all my old data, especially in view of selling this to a total stranger?

If not, any help with regards to this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
the data is still there, until the data is over written by new data its still there and can be easily recoverable. They make programs to write to every spot on a hard drive. I wanna say its called zeroing out a hard drive, dont take my word on it. Youll want to do this though if you intend on selling it and not destroying it.
There's a utility called CleanSweep, can't remember who made it, but google disk scrubbers and you should get hits. Above advice is correct - the only way is to write zeroes to every sector...if you're paranoid Huh
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DBAN Nod
http://www.dban.org/

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction. DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware.

DBAN 2.2.6 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media.
(Burn this file to a blank disc and boot the computer with it. Do not unzip this file.)
+1 for Boot and Nuke
Ubuntu LiveCD + shred.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
+1 on Boot and Nuke. Just make sure you disconnect any drives you don't want cleared.
When you're at it, I would suggest to download and prepare a CD or USB stick with Ultimate Boot CD. It contains DBAN plus a number of other practical tools for PC fiddling and has helped me a great number of times.

I particularly like Parted Magic/Gparted, which launches a fully functioning GUI based Linux (from a RAM disk), making partition management a breeze.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Thanks!

How many passes would you suggest? dodshort (3 passes) seems to be just about right, but will quick (1 pass) suffice?

I'm thinking anything over 3 passes is overkill (especially since my HDD was loaded with XBMC and CyberLink BluRay software...)...
+1 Parted Magic..
Three passes should surely do it, it's not like someone is going to spend $10-20000 for a state of the art try at getting to your data Smile
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
I'd just keep it as a backup (unless if it's a high $$$ SSD and you would like to recoup some of your initial investment) - you should see all the original 8GB Xbox HDDs I have laying around.
live4ever Wrote:I'd just keep it as a backup (unless if it's a high $$$ SSD and you would like to recoup some of your initial investment) - you should see all the original 8GB Xbox HDDs I have laying around.
Thanks for the advice.

So, I know what you are saying, but I originally started with the intent to buy the best value HTPC I could lay my hands on. Even made a spreadsheet for it! Big Grin

...but alas, when I found a stellar deal on the Crucial M4, I had to justify the purchase by selling off the F3. My plan eventually is to stick three 2TB drives in my HTPC for storage, and run the OS/XBMC off the M4, so I don't really have a need for the beast of an HDD that was the F3...

I did my three passes. Hopefully it sells! Thanks for everyone's help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Erasing Hard Drives...0