Internal vs External HDD
I notice that a lot of people pick up external USB HDDs and then take the drive out of the casing and use it's SATA connection, either in a PC case or in a NAS etc. While I understand why people do it for cheaper storage for a NAS, what's the advantage of taking it out if you're just placing it within a HTPC case? I guess it means you can power it from the PSU instead of having another transformer to plug in, and it frees up some space by packaging it within the HTPC, but are there are performance or noise gains? I recently picked up a 2TB USB3.0 HDD for sotring media (movies, tv shows etc.).
No performance or noise gains - it's just a packaging preference. If you're going to have 8 HDD's, would you rather have them mounted inside your PC case or laying about on the ground or desk?
If you're not using it's portability, might as well put it in the case.
Thanks - I was asking if there was a performance gain between internal vs. external, not if it made sense to have 8 external HDDs. It appears not.
Ferrino Wrote:Thanks - I was asking if there was a performance gain between internal vs. external, not if it made sense to have 8 external HDDs. It appears not.
For blu-ray storage, there shouldn't be performance advantage. It'll playback blu-ray file with the quality. I enjoy using USB 3.0 drive than internal drive. I can move around the USB 3.0 to any HTPC's. It's very convenience, because it is very tiny and it come with a single USB 3.0 cable (powered by USB cable). I have one of this and some other USB 3.0 brands- Seagate Expansion 1.5TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I was curious about this too.

I have two external 1TB drives one is a portable drive and the other is a powered drive. The difference with mine that they are usb 2.0.

In my case would putting the powered drive in my computer for Blu ray playback better?
Chuck King Wrote:I was curious about this too.

I have two external 1TB drives one is a portable drive and the other is a powered drive. The difference with mine that they are usb 2.0.

In my case would putting the powered drive in my computer for Blu ray playback better?
USB 2.0 hard and internal hard drive should have the same playback quality!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
sweet, so if i put my blu ray back ups on there I should have no problem? If so I'm going to be very happy Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal vs External HDD0