How do i network share folders?
Hi guys,

i've setup up most of my xbmc and i'm almost there.

SCENARIO
Currently i have the following:-
  • ONE Media PC with 2 user accounts (Administrator and MediaPC):

1. Windows 7 Ultimate & XBMC on C: (250gb hard drive)
  2. Media files on D: (1TB hard drive)
  • ONE Office/Gaming PC (One user account - Billy) - only i use it
  • ONE Laptop (wireless) (One user account - Family) - kids/family use it
All the above computers are on Win 7 connected on the same homegroup to my virgin media superhub.

GOAL
I want to network share the Media PC - D: drive with my Office PC (Billy Account) which should have FULL READ/WRITE/MODIFY RIGHTS access.

At the same time, I want to Totally DENY ACCESS to the kids laptop (Family Account), so they cannot access the media files.

Is this possible? If so, how do i go about implementing it? I've got a limited knowledge of networking, so please could you explain exactly what i need to do?

Thanks!
Using Windows UAC (User Account Control) which is enabled by default this is all possible thru Windows Explorer.

Right-click on the Drive D: folder on your server machine, and Share it. In the Share window you can specifiy specific network accounts which can have access, and the access levels (R,R/W,etc).

Once shared, it should show up on other PC's under Network Places.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
thanks for clarifying that DDDamian. But thats what i'm trying to say....i can only see accounts on the local computer to which i can then go ahead and set permissions. What i can't see is the accounts on another computers.

SEARCH OF ACCOUNTS COMPUTER A (Local):-
Guests
Administrator
Power Users
Everyone
Remote Desktop
MediaPC
(No Billy Account Found)

SEARCH OF ACCOUNTS COMPUTER B (Network):-
Guests
Administrator
Power Users
Everyone
Remote Desktop
Billy
(No MediaPC Account Found)
Hi Noobnas,

It sounds like the Workgroup needs setting up.

Follow this video and this tutorial Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do i network share folders?0