Cost of running a server
Hi guys

Ran out of hdd space on my nas, so i picked up 3x 2tb hdds @ 89 quid each, i have enough pc parts to build a server to stream media and files etc.

What would be the rough running costs of this in the uk atm ( i mean cost of the electric per month ) wouldnt be anything special. Amd dual core 1gb ram and those hdds.

Thanks

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
matt77303 Wrote:Hi guys

Ran out of hdd space on my nas, so i picked up 3x 2tb hdds @ 89 quid each, i have enough pc parts to build a server to stream media and files etc.

What would be the rough running costs of this in the uk atm ( i mean cost of the electric per month ) wouldnt be anything special. Amd dual core 1gb ram and those hdds.

Thanks

Matt
Impossible to answer, we'd need to know how much you pay for electricity (will vary according to your provider) and how much electricity your rig consumes.

Build your server using the most power efficient hardware you can find, buy a watt meter and measure the power consumption, then it's pretty simple maths.

If you assume that 1KWh costs about 10p and you leave it on all the time, a rig running at 50 watts will cost £43.80 per year.

(24 hours * 365 days = 8780 hours per year. 50W = 20 hours to 1 KW. 8780/20 = 438 KWh/year. 438*0.10£ = 43.80)
This is a really wierd post. Please think before posting next time.
But to "help out", my server consumes around 100-150 watts.
Image :cool:
cider123 Wrote:This is a really wierd post. Please think before posting next time.

Please 'think' before posting?

I did, i guessed alot of people on here would run a server for xbmc, i just woundered if they noticed any massive increase in there electric bill?

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
I have an i3 2100T system that in theory idles at ~9W and uses at most 45Wish when fully loaded. If it idled all day for a year I worked out a while ago it added an extra £12 to my yearly bill.
i have a intel quad core Q8400 with 4gb ram and 6x2tb western digital green drives and 1 2.5inch laptop drive for OS installed i have it set to spindown drives when idle for more than 20 minutes

i consume according to a power meter i bought around 69watts on idle which it is most of the time

just remember to get a good PSU like a Antec, Corsair of Seasonic (i have seasonic)
Thanks for the helpfull comments, ive built her, everything is running ok harware wise, just need to decide on a OS.

Matt
cider123 Wrote:This is a really wierd post. Please think before posting next time.

Telling us NOTHING about your server setup isn't much "help"......
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cost of running a server0