Import epg from clients - every startup
Hello,

Everytime xbmc starts, it imports ALL epg data from backend (tvheadend in my case). There are some problems with this, baceuse:
- this import is extremely slow. I really have no idea why it's so slow, but this make me crazy
- there is modal window displayed with import epg progress. This is bad idea, I think this should bo done in background.

Is this possible to prevent epg import everytime on startup? I want to make import on demand only and make xbmc to use already imported epg data, saved in its own database. Epg does not change so often and there is no need to make scan on each program start.
Temporaly workaround ..Uncheck "Save EPG into toDtabase" under TV setting . Start is much faster ....
you can increase the timeout in the epg settings. disabling "save to database" as ivonovak suggests will make the startup a lot slower, not faster (in most occasions, depending on how old the data in the db is)

the import is slow because of how the protocol has been implemented. the current htsp implementation requires one call to the server per epg event. the import will be much faster is the most recent builds, but it's still slow.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Quote:the import will be much faster is the most recent builds, but it's still slow.
Why import on every startup and why popup message? Why xbmc does not have its own epg database, refreshing in background, on demand etc. (this should be possible to configure). If database exists, why epg is imported every time?

Let's imagine importing epg from 50 channels and this popup dialog. So long startup... this is not acceptable, definitely. I think- this shuld be done the same way as media library refresh settings and functionality, because it takes very long time.
giaur Wrote:Why import on every startup and why popup message? Why xbmc does not have its own epg database, refreshing in background, on demand etc. (this should be possible to configure).
why don't you look at the epg options first?
and no, there's no option to hide the dialog.

Quote:this is not acceptable, definitely.
patches welcome
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
If my memory serves me right, you can only increase EPG update intervall to 480 minutes, which is in most cases too often .. I guess 12, 24 or even 48 hours would be enough to check for new EPG information, depends on the backend .. I have EPG up to seven days from my backend, no need to update it so often; in moste cases I'm only interessted in the next days, so updating every 2 - 3 days would be enough for me.

I'd suggest to change that small option ..

Greetz

LastCoder

PS: Nevertheless I have more than 50 channels and I think it's a quite fast import ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
Hi,

I am having the same problem, can I somehow hide the window on the top of the XBMC screen that says "Importing EPG" completely? Can I configure only to import EPG from certain channels, or to prevent importing EPG at all`?
I still agree, but now epg import is much improved (a lot of faster), so it's not so bad as before. It was really unacceptable with xbmc 11, because of very long time taken by epg importing process (25 channels, almost minute), now the same operation takes 2-3 seconds.

In any case, epg importing progress seems to be not neccesary, but it's only my personal opinion. Unfortunatelly, import is needed, since xbmc doesn't play tv directly and uses streaming from backend instead.
I've got over 200 channels in my set up and the little popup for EPG import appears at each start up, but takes about 5 seconds to do the whole lot... and I can continue using the system as normal during those 5seconds... not been an issue for me, and I'm not storing it in a local database. Happy with it how it is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import epg from clients - every startup1