[AppleTV1] Can't seem to figure out how to install Crystalbuntu
I don't know if there is better information on this elsewhere, but FWIW these are the instructions that I use and it works like a champ. (After removing spaces and special characters from my SSID and PW).

http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/enable-wireless-n/page/4

The post by AIR - though a read through the whole thread proved to be useful. I'm not sure what driver Sam now includes, but I have been using this one instead of the on AIR mentioned:

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/h...112.tar.gz

Again, I have had great success with this method. At least until the feature in the configuration utility is completed.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
thank you both so much! i'll try out the AIR method later today when i get home from work, if all else fails i'll just wait for SAM's config.

one very last thing: how do i update xbmc? if found
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live  
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
is this correct? (sorry havent tried it yet as i've just been searching at work)

and in the long run does crystalbuntu just auto-update if it's set in ./configuration or is there commandlines for updating the OS itself?
Ned Scott Wrote:Looks like you are correct about vbios. It will cause issues for anything outside of XBMC. While in XBMC it seems that another driver that over-rides vbios is used, which is why I never had an issue within XBMC.

http://stmlabs.com/forum/topic/pink-scre...#post-3018 :

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that from time to time the vbios (mostly pink screens) can creep into XBMC itself, although that might have just been a bug that has since been fixed.

I was not aware of this before, so thanks for the heads up. I'll add it to the XBMC wiki that people should still set things for their display in the native OS before installing Crystalbuntu. I really wish the Crystalbuntu info wasn't so scattered about.

No worries on the iOS thing Wink

ALWAYS update to RGB High before permanently installing.

phi303 Wrote:thank you both so much! i'll try out the AIR method later today when i get home from work, if all else fails i'll just wait for SAM's config.

one very last thing: how do i update xbmc? if found
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live  
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
is this correct? (sorry havent tried it yet as i've just been searching at work)

and in the long run does crystalbuntu just auto-update if it's set in ./configuration or is there commandlines for updating the OS itself?

Never update via apt. There is no new builds via apt. Pull down from the downloads site.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:ALWAYS update to RGB High before permanently installing.

Never update via apt. There is no new builds via apt. Pull down from the downloads site.

forgive me for my unfamiliarity but do you mean actually on the the website or does XBMC have a download tab somewhere for updates? sorry, i haven't spent much time with the xbmc UI. crystalbuntu is all command-lines right?
Sam's build automatically checks for updates when it reboots, unless automatic updating is explicitly turned off by the user. If you SSH in and issue a reboot command or power-cycle the ATV, during the boot process Crystalbuntu checks for any updated packages pushed down by Sam and installs them.
Ok, so I took the plunge and got myself a broadcom card, the hardware part was easy - I'm now having trouble getting the ATV to recognize it or maybe it is recognizing it and I dont know it.

My understanding is that you should be able to go to System>Settings>Video>Playback>Render method and choose Broadcom or Crystal HD

currently I only have 'Auto detect' 'Software' 'Advanced Shaders (GLSL)' and 'Basic shaders (ARB)'

I'm running XBMC off of Crystalbuntu off of the ATV's harddrive (no osx at all)

I tried to follow this via ssh through terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion autoconf
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0
cd crystalhd-for-osx-3.6.0/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd

and did a "sudo reboot" but I still only have 'Auto detect' 'Software' 'Advanced Shaders (GLSL)' and 'Basic shaders (ARB)'

what am I missing here? anything helps, THANKS!

*edit* reading over the commands, I see that I'm just installing OSX drivers for the broadcom not crystalbuntu (unless "cd ../../driver/linux" means I am downloading the correct drivers); I'm definitely missing that - how do I install the ubuntu drivers? do I even need to?
Crystalbuntu includes the drivers already. It won't be under "render method", but instead will have a check point beside it on that same settings screen.
Ned Scott Wrote:Crystalbuntu includes the drivers already. It won't be under "render method", but instead will have a check point beside it on that same settings screen.

hmmm... i'm guessing that BCM970012 isn't very good, i get pretty sluggish playback on a 720p mkv. is there anyway i can ssh and double check that the card is working properly?
Hi,

Code:
lspci | grep Broadcom

will verify it's installed.

Code:
dmesg | grep Broadcom
should show you haven't screwed the driver.
this is what i get

Code:
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612 (rev 01)

as for
Code:
dmesg | grep Broadcom
this doesn't do anything
No references to loading the CrystalHD driver in dmesg without grep?

Force Crystalbuntu to rebuild Crystal HD driver for you:

Code:
sudo rm /home/atv/scripts/crystalnum
sudo reboot
A lot of BCM970012's are made very.. cheaply. Which isn't to say they are a bad card, but that the chances of getting a dud are higher. That's assuming this is a dud. Might contact your seller for a replacement.
thank you sam and ned! i think i got duds - i got a BCM970015 last night and it seems to work fine without any ssh fiddling, freakin e-bayer sold me bunk hardware. thanks you guys so much!
Unfortunately, that happens quite a bit on there. That's why you will see most of us recommend the 15 from LogicSupply. They are a bit more cash, but well worth it.

Anyway, glad you got it working! Enjoy!!
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
TechLife Wrote:Unfortunately, that happens quite a bit on there. That's why you will see most of us recommend the 15 from LogicSupply. There are a bit more cash, but well worth it.

Anyway, glad you got it working! Enjoy!!

thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Can't seem to figure out how to install Crystalbuntu0