Help Needed - XBMC HTPC Audio Question
Question 
I have an audio problem too, maybe it's related:
I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop connected to an LG tv through hdmi cable.
My problem is that I don't get any sound on the tv when I start xbmc (win7, eden rc1, some ati video card). But when I exit xbmc and start it over again the sound is ok.
I tried nearly all combinations in setting (analog/hdmi, wasapi/directsound). No matter what the settings are, at xbmc start i get no sound, only on second start.
As I recall, I did not have this problem with eden beta2 (I think that was ok).
Could you help me what I should try, to get sound on first start?
pigpig Wrote:I have an audio problem too, maybe it's related:
My problem is that I don't get any sound on the tv when I start xbmc (win7, eden rc1, some ati video card). But when I exit xbmc and start it over again the sound is ok.

A debug log might help. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging. Then I guess you need to restart your PC or do whatever it takes to get the sound to not work on the first start. Run XBMC and wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish, then play some suitable test film, and assuming there is no sound stop the film and close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.

JR
nordberg Wrote:One other thing. In XBMC, I can choose WASAPI or Direct Sound from HDMI. Which should I choose?

Wasapi will give you the cleanest sound, at the expense of locking out any other applications (including Windows) from using sounds. But you don't really want Windows chiming in when listening to music do you? Laugh

My preference is Wasapi.

pigpig Wrote:I have an audio problem too, maybe it's related:
I tried nearly all combinations in setting (analog/hdmi, wasapi/directsound). No matter what the settings are, at xbmc start i get no sound, only on second start.
As I recall, I did not have this problem with eden beta2 (I think that was ok).
Could you help me what I should try, to get sound on first start?

Sounds like a handshaking issue with your TV. Post a debug log as suggested. Turning the TV on before the laptop may help. If not, search for EDID override in google.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks DDDamian Big Grin
Hi!

Here I have the log when there is no sound:
http://pastebin.com/wFf8SrNz

and then - after restarting xbmc - when there is:
http://pastebin.com/sWrja97A

After booting windows I have all sounds of windows in the TV, I have sound when playing films with gomplayer. The issue is that xbmc needs to be exited and restarted to have sound through hdmi.
@pigpig - unfortunately your whole log did not fit in pastebin, including the relevent section. Try to do less when you provide a log. Just boot up, wait 10sec, reproduce the issue and close XBMC. This provides the cleanest log for troubleshooting and helps keep it small enough to fit in pastebin.

That said, almost certainly it's an HDMI handshaking issue, and restarting re-affirms the hadnshake connection. You may find that the order in which things are booted (PC, HTPC, TV) is the key here.

There is a pull-request on git from CrystalP to reinitialize audio if the connection is lost - I'm sure it will be incorporated at some point.

In the meantime see what boot order works for you to ensure the handshaking takes place.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I tried turn on tv first then laptop, I tried turn on laptop then tv. No matter in which order I turn them on, the issue remains: I don't get sound on first start from xbmc through hdmi. But - to complicate things - sometimes I do get sound, even if I do everything just the way I did before. Once I did not need to restart xbmc to get the sound, I just switched skin, then everything was ok.
The handshaking issue: obviously I'm not an expert, but I would say,that this is not the case. I have problems with the sound only in xbmc. All windows system sound are ok, every application sounds arer ok through hdmi.
In xbmc not only the movies have no sound, I don't even get the user interface sounds (clicks on changing menus).
Anyway here are two new logs, I hope you can figure out something:
Log - xbmc-nosound:
http://pastebin.com/kCApwuuW

Log - xbmc-sound:
http://pastebin.com/zxvCE6iD

I checked, these are the full logs, I did as you told me, started then exited xbmc.

I hope you will come up with a solution, because I really like xbmc, but this issue is annoying
Hi Pigpig - the only thing you missed was duplicating the problem! You need to reproduce the issue (unfortunately GUI sounds don't cause log events). Do the same procedure, just this time play a song or a movie. If no sound comes out then perfect, close it down and post the log.

Not sure how old your drivers are (that system is fairly old) and I couldn't find Win 7 drivers, but there's a good chance that they need updating. Here's Vista drivers for your card, compare version numbers and see if they're newer.

You may be able to use the laptop manufacturer's website to get the latest drivers.
Well, I checked, and I have the latest sound and video drivers available for my laptop.
I followed your instructions and I started to play a video file so I have a new log again. There are surely some errors in it because first the network share was not connected and the file was not available.
http://pastebin.com/7u3ccpkh
I hope this helps you to help me...
Sigh, yes the file was not found. Meaning of course there's no info on the audio playback to analyze.

It shows the audio codec being recognized and initialized correctly but of course it had nothing to read/play.
As I wrote: first was the file not found then I alt+tabbed out of xbmc connected the network drive then back to xbmc then the playback started but with no sound. I know it's not the perfect log with all the filenotfounderrors in it, but I get a bit tired of this thing. I know it's my problem, but I did so many starts and restarts... and sometimes I'd like just to watch a movie and not to do debugging.
I think I leave this thing for a while... My TV is ok, my laptop is ok, and I like xbmc, and I just watched a show with gomplayer without sound problems...
Anyway, thank you for your time...
I have both an ipad and a best android tablet and apart from games, the android can do everything the ipad can, at least as well as the ipad does. There are some games, but not nearly as much as on the apple side. That said for general day to day things i use the android tablet much more than the ipad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Needed - XBMC HTPC Audio Question0