• 2(current)
Automatic WakeOnLan upon accessing MySql or FileShares
@t4_ravenbird

Could this be extended to also wake the server before a library update is done as well as a clean library request?
(2012-04-12, 21:06)kricker Wrote: ...
With this setting then, if the timer expires, the new wake event will be sent when I try to access files from the server again. If I don't access that server again the packet will not be sent.

Yes. Exactly.

(2012-04-13, 20:01)kricker Wrote: @t4_ravenbird

Could this be extended to also wake the server before a library update is done as well as a clean library request?

As I have imagined it that would be redundant? I would think it should work as it is now, whenever the scanning needs to access the server, the same on-access-wake should kick in ..

However, if using MySql, I am afraid there will be more issues. The MySql coding just opens the db-connection and will never detect any broken connection (and since it never tries a re-connect there is no place for me to add a retransmission of the wakeup)
IIRC there already is a older ticket in the bugtracker that added WOL support. I posted some additional ideas/concepts there IIRC. As far as I remember I had this ideas back then:
  • WOL is not a geek-only thing nowadays, so add a GUI setting that allows to manage several WOL clients, based on their IP/DNS/UNC or whatever. So that any share defined for one of the configured clients will automatically trigger WOL requests on first access
  • add a option/flag to the client configuration to auto-wakeup it on XBMC startup (has been requested in the forums IIRC)
  • each client should have a "timeout" or "startup delay" configured, so that XBMC knows how long it has to wait to try playback again after first attempt. Maybe this can alternatively be done by just pinging the target for a certain amount of time - no idea.
  • add a dialog if the media is on a WOL device and ask the user if the device should wake up (this might be optional/configurable by device)
  • while waiting for the wakeup, ask the user what he likes to do in the meantime. Like if the media to be played is a movie, ask if one want's to watch f.e. the according trailer (online) while waiting for the device (create a playlist with the trailer and queue the movie). Or not a trailer, but a short trivia about the movie, or music or whatever (maybe have entry points for addons here, like the trailers addon, trivia addon etc)
Could something like this be adapted to help spin up drives before accessing them? IIRC, some users have funky NAS devices that don't spin up very fast and something in this transition causes XBMC to either think the file is gone or even crash.
(2012-04-14, 13:43)da-anda Wrote: IIRC there already is a older ticket in the bugtracker that added WOL support.

OK. The additions I have made builds on that allready existing wol support in XBMC. It is not a duplicate implementation but more in line with some of the additonal ideas you mention

(2012-04-14, 20:13)Ned Scott Wrote: Could something like this be adapted to help spin up drives before accessing them?

Not sure, but I dont think so.

A NAS with slow-starting disks would take a long time to respond to a file-access request coming via a network-protocol (samba/nfs/upnp, whatever..)
I would think what might have to be done is more adjustable timeouts for those protocols, possibly showing a dialogue that XBMC is waiting for response
Is this going to be committed, i would love to see this in openelec
(2012-04-14, 13:43)da-anda Wrote: IIRC there already is a older ticket in the bugtracker that added WOL support. I posted some additional ideas/concepts there IIRC. As far as I remember I had this ideas back then:
  • WOL is not a geek-only thing nowadays, so add a GUI setting that allows to manage several WOL clients, based on their IP/DNS/UNC or whatever. So that any share defined for one of the configured clients will automatically trigger WOL requests on first access
1. I think a GUI setting for WOL entries would be nice, but I know there are constant discussions of what should be in the GUI and what shouldn't. Personally I agree with da-anda on this. This is something that is more common place these days with the growing usage of media servers housing content. Is there someone who can add this to the patch?
(2012-04-14, 13:43)da-anda Wrote:
  • add a option/flag to the client configuration to auto-wakeup it on XBMC startup (has been requested in the forums IIRC)
This does happen now with this patch if you have "update library on startup" set.
  • each client should have a "timeout" or "startup delay" configured, so that XBMC knows how long it has to wait to try playback again after first attempt. Maybe this can alternatively be done by just pinging the target for a certain amount of time - no idea.
Do you mean client or server? I don't know what this patch currently does in these terms, but it is working fine for me. Is this really needed?
  • add a dialog if the media is on a WOL device and ask the user if the device should wake up (this might be optional/configurable by device)
I'm not sure about this one. If you want to access something, why get asked a second time?
  • while waiting for the wakeup, ask the user what he likes to do in the meantime. Like if the media to be played is a movie, ask if one want's to watch f.e. the according trailer (online) while waiting for the device (create a playlist with the trailer and queue the movie). Or not a trailer, but a short trivia about the movie, or music or whatever (maybe have entry points for addons here, like the trailers addon, trivia addon etc)
This would be neat, but my server wakes and starts playback within 5 seconds, I don't really need this feature. Maybe other's have really slow waking servers and this would be better suited for them.

I would like to see this get committed soon. First it needs to get polished up then reviewed.
(2012-04-18, 22:38)kricker Wrote:
This does happen now with this patch if you have "update library on startup" set.
I think it should also work if one is not updating the library on startup, but will need the remote server/nas anyway when XBMC is starting up. But as I said, this should be configurable for each WOL client.
Do you mean client or server? I don't know what this patch currently does in these terms, but it is working fine for me. Is this really needed?
I mean WOL client/target (so your remote server/NAS). I'm not sure if the current "tmout" setting (should btw be renamed to "timeout") already does this - haven't looked at the patch in detail.
I'm not sure about this one. If you want to access something, why get asked a second time?
As said, this should be optional. I could imagine users that not necessarily want to trigger a WOL by accidently hitting play or something.
This would be neat, but my server wakes and starts playback within 5 seconds, I don't really need this feature. Maybe other's have really slow waking servers and this would be better suited for them.
I would need it - my NAS (Thecus) is unfortunately not the fastest to boot and sync the active directory permissions with the DC. Takes up to a minute or more. Never timetracked it, but it feels somewhat sloooow.
Smile 
I think it should also work if one is not update the library on startup, but will need the remote server/nas anyway when XBMC is starting up. But as I said, this should be configurable for each WOL client.
[/quote]

Nice to see someone working on this feature Big GrinBig Grin .
I think an option to wol the server everytime that xbmc client starts or wake-up would be the best solution, cause a lot of people (well, i'll start with me Rofl) dont activate the update of the library on startup.
I know that the scan of the library starts automatically when the client wakes up, so i hope it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Bibi
It looks as if this patch wakes the server when starting XBMC as it is. I turned off the "update library on startup" option and the server still woke when I started XBMC. XBMC must try to locate the sources when it starts, thus this patch then wakes those offline sources.

So it looks like we may need an option to NOT wake the offline servers when XBMC starts up.
(2012-04-19, 17:07)kricker Wrote: It looks as if this patch wakes the server when starting XBMC as it is. I turned off the "update library on startup" option and the server still woke when I started XBMC. XBMC must try to locate the sources when it starts, thus this patch then wakes those offline sources.

So it looks like we may need an option to NOT wake the offline servers when XBMC starts up.

Do you have anything else configured into XBMC that could trigger accessing files on your server? I checked it and in my test XBMC is NOT waking the server on startup - I see no attempt by XBMC to locate the paths in 'sources.xml' automatically upon startup.
I did have the advanced WOL addon do that, but I have since disabled it. I'll check again to make sure I don't have the old WOL addon still enabled.
OK. If the problem remains we should try to track it down. It is not supposed to wake the server until it is accessed.
I've gone thru and removed any addon which could cause this. I can repeat it consistently. When I start XBMC my server gets woken up. If I comment out the <onaccesswakeup> from advancedsettings.xml then the server does not get woken up when XBMC starts.

Code:
15:49:36 T:1332  NOTICE:  StorageServer Module loaded RUN
15:49:36 T:1332  NOTICE: StorageClient-0.9.2 Starting server
15:49:36 T:1332  NOTICE: StorageServer-0.9.2 Storage Server starting D:\HTPC\Xbmc\portable_data\userdata\Database\commoncache.db
15:49:38 T:4608   ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
15:49:51 T:6080   ERROR: Couldn't connect to \\TOWER\TV, error code 31
15:49:51 T:6080   ERROR: CWINFileSMB: Unable to open file '\' Error '53
15:51:23 T:5040  NOTICE: Storing total System Uptime
15:51:23 T:5040  NOTICE: Saving settings

My guess is it happens right where the log says "Couldn't connect to \\TOWER\TV, error code 31". Why it is trying to connect I do not know. Maybe that is happening because I have the recently added items on my home screen?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic WakeOnLan upon accessing MySql or FileShares4