Mac Mini Late 2009 - What is it capable of?
Hey all,

Ive gotten the chance of buying a Mac Mini 2009 to a good price and are looking at replacing my ATV2. But I have some questions and yes, they might be noobie-ones, but that's what I am so... Here goes;

1. Will it be able to stream 1080p movies from my NAS with no fuzz? (I will connect to the TV through a HDMI-adapter)
2. Will I have the same options as on my ATV2 thats running on XBMC (either streaming from my NAS or from my MBP from Itunes?)
3. Will I be able to stream movies through Airplay (webbased TV-shows offer the option through seperate apps)?
4. Will I be able to stream music through Airplay from Spotify (or such - Spotify offers the option today to the ATV2))?
5. Must I have a Keyboard/Mouse or is it fully functional with the remote?

Hmm hope this makes sense...

Thanks in advance!

//n

Those olders Mac minis (2009-2010) should be much more trouble free than the newer models. So yes to everything. OSX version of XBMC has builtin support for Harmony remotes.
2009 was a good year for Mac Minis as HTPCs, and they're still very good. It should do everything on your list.
Oh sweet. Thanks for the quick replies.
So I guess I will replace my ATV2 then Smile

/n
Ok, just installed my MacMini and 1080p files from my NAS plays like a charm. Im also controlling it through either my MacBook or Touchpad on my iPad/iPhone. But when it comes to the AirPlay-stuff I'm not sure what I'm missing. The Mini won't show up in any app as an output option.

So how do I do this?

/n
You enable Airplay in XBMC settings and that's it.
Hmm, thats just to easy. Sorry, should have checked that first. I had some thought that it was the MacOs that was supposed to fix it.
Thanx!!

/n
Well its enabled in XBMC and plays music perfectly from all my music apps on the iPad. But streaming TV shows from different apps it won't work. I get the option to send the stream to XBMC but it just stops and won't start.

Ideas?
try latest nightly - if it still doesn't work post a xbmc.log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Running a 2009 mini here with an SSD and 4 gigs of ram. It also runs the MYSQL server. Rock solid.
me too, it runs great and plays and scene 1080p perfect, even 24p
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini Late 2009 - What is it capable of?0