Movies in .rar no longer detected?
I have a few movies which are packed in .rar - these have been scraped just fine in the past, obviously with the latest builds this doesnt seem to be the case no more ... anyone else experiencing this?

greets r4n

from the log:
18:18:21 T:2907663216 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Scanning dir 'smb://x:[email protected]/media/movies/Moviename/' as not in the database
18:18:21 T:2907663216 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: No (new) information was found in dir smb://x:[email protected]/media/movies/Moviename/

once I unrar the file its detected perfectly ...
probably a compressed rarset.
hm, actually I compressed them as usual ... any way to check this?
No they probably just disabled it again;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=78867
You can always rely on xbmc, if their not making their gui less intuitive then their messing up the functionality so that many people have a huge part of their media either locked out or looking at doubling its size if they need to keep the rar'd originals.
I'd be pissed if I'd payed for this lol
But check you log file, mine says rar is an unsupported protocol.
So, because an unstable build has something disabled due to non-compliance it's bad software?

If the OP is experiencing this on the current stable build then something is wrong. If he's experiencing this on an unstable build then that's too bad.

OP, that is not a shot at you. Please post a full debug log.
Holy wow, just realized that you linked a thread from almost 2 years ago.
r4nd0m didn't say but I'm using 11.0 from the repo, I think it started when I upgraded to ubuntu 12.04 but I'm not entirely sure. As always certain dependencies were missing, I had to manually install lightdm (with --no-install-recommends) to get it to even load and upower to get the shutdown function working, but these have always been problems with the stable builds, when installing from the stable ppa at least.
You don't need lightdm to run xbmc.
I'm afraid it does, during install it complained that it couldn't find a lighdm config file, but I though that just like with uxlaunch (Gota love stable releases >.< ) just creating that single file would be enough, it wasn't, I got that feh.py cannot initialize screen thingy.
So thanks for you input, but your wrong, it needs lighdm as a window manager in order to run, or at least one of its dependencies.
Lightdm isn't a window manager and its not needed to install/use xbmc. I think you're confusing a desktop manager and a window manager...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightDM
"LightDM is an X display manager"
Fair enough, it is display rather than window but I had a good idea of its function.
Whether you disagree or not, does not change the fact that a display manager is needed by xbmc, ubuntu uses lightdm, and so lightdm is the one used in the ppa build and so is therefore needed. All though I feel I need clarify that it was xbmc-live that needed it to install, xbmc needed it to run.
But this is beside the point, this thread is about trying to find out why rar are no longer supported on some builds and you clearly aren't able to help much with xbmc problems.
IMO the developers are wasting time on a pathetically stupid function with RAR support. A tiny fraction of people on the fringe actually use it.
Get rid of it entirely. The concept is ridiculous as are the peoples reason for wanting it.

Dump it and move on.
(2012-04-22, 04:08)tomolac Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightDM
"LightDM is an X display manager"
Fair enough, it is display rather than window but I had a good idea of its function.
Whether you disagree or not, does not change the fact that a display manager is needed by xbmc, ubuntu uses lightdm, and so lightdm is the one used in the ppa build and so is therefore needed. All though I feel I need clarify that it was xbmc-live that needed it to install, xbmc needed it to run.

Whether you realise that you are wrong or not does not change the fact that xbmc does not need lightdm, or any other dm to run. If youre having problems and installing lightdm fixed your problem its a configuration error on your part. The dependency list for xbmc is proof of this. The htpc sitting in front of me is proof of this, there is no dm installed at all. My laptop is proof of this, it uses kubuntu and kdm and lightdm is not installed. The official team-xbmc stable ppa doesnt even have a lightdm package on it!

I still think you are confused... lightdm is a Display Manager. Xbmc needs a Window Manager to run...

Quote:But this is beside the point, this thread is about trying to find out why rar are no longer supported on some builds and you clearly aren't able to help much with xbmc problems.

I know enough about xbmc to know that it doesnt need lightdm. And since when is giving out the wrong information and flaming the devs being helpful?

Yes kubuntu doesn't need lightdm, because it uses KDM! You know, KDE Display Manager! Upower is not listed in the dependencies either, and yet still it is needed for the xbmc power functions.
The fact that it won't install or run without it, is proof that a display manger is needed and lightdm is the one used in ubuntu 11.04 up.
Xbmc-live needs lightdm as it handles automatic login, and I believe xbmc-live will then act as the window manager but I'm not sure.
All though granted I think xbmc just needs a window manager to install, a display manager is just needed for the desktop to run. But I'm sure you've right that since its not in the dependencies then that means xbmc will run without a desktop, just like you've done?
And yes your right flaming wasn't called for, I was simply frustrated at once again having to fix problems with an upgrade. It pisses me off that its making me jaded towards upgrading, something that is supposed to fix problems, when all that happens is new ones are added. But its not all xbmc, ubuntu helps too. So thanks for going through all of that just to beguile me that single point.
But yea, lets just say that's its all worthless, the weather add-on is "a pathetically stupid function", "A tiny fraction of people on the fringe actually use it." For example. After all, weather plus is not longer supported, it must be too 'fringe.' No one uses that stupid iplayer thing either, most users are American. And rar files are just super rare, nothing is ever rar'd really, most people have never heard of it That's far more helpful and cordial than simply venting some frustration about glitches and broken builds, and I'm sure your opinion is very reliable, Thankyou.
Anyway, the people talking in this thread are not capable of helping with the problem the thread was started for, and just want to say how their love of xbmc makes it great and means their are no problems with it, so I don't think there's any point in continuing. Its just another unfixed glitch, as this is all to 'fringe' to bother with. And after talking to you too, I'm starting to agree.
tomolac: Read the "XBMC is now in Debian" notice on the homepage. My guess is you have a ubuntu build based off that, which quite clearly says does not include rar support as Debian does not allow unrarlib as it's nonfree.

XBMCbuntu works just fine with RAR support in the meantime, as will XBMC installed from the PPA.

Once libarchive has seek support for uncompressed rar's XBMC will support them direct from the official Debian repositories as well.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That answers my question, Thankyou very much.
All though I'm still not sure why, as I said I installed from the ppa? But I though it was most likely is due to upgrading to 12.04, strange but not xbmc related I'm guessing.
I just wasn't sure if there might be a simple fix, if it was a glitch or just disabled, so thanks for answering my concerns.

Thankyou, Tom

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies in .rar no longer detected?0