New to XBMC - Need help
I just installed XBMC Eden RC 2 on my htpc. I have two questions. First I can not find a plugin for Netflix. Is one available and if so where do I get it? The second question relates to my tv tuner card. Windows Media Center recognizes my tv tuner card and works fine. I can not find anywhere in XBMC to identify or configure my card. Does the Windows version have tv tuner card support. My card is a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600.

Thanks for the help...
Welcome!

These should help get you started...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=Netflix

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...TV_in_XBMC
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
gwthor Wrote:I just installed XBMC Eden RC 2 on my htpc. I have two questions. First I can not find a plugin for Netflix. Is one available and if so where do I get it? The second question relates to my tv tuner card. Windows Media Center recognizes my tv tuner card and works fine. I can not find anywhere in XBMC to identify or configure my card. Does the Windows version have tv tuner card support. My card is a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600.

Thanks for the help...

Although TechLife's links will definitely help you out - since you are new to XBMC let me explain a little more.

The Netflix addon will take a bit of setup. If you are used to other software like Boxee or Windows Media Center that has integrated Netflix support you may be somewhat surprised at the level of custom setup something like Netflix is going to take before you can use it in XBMC. That being said it is a working plugin and many XBMC users seem happy with it. Keep in mind that outside of Netflix there are numerous other video service addons available directly from the main XBMC addon repo that you can use as well.

PVR support (finding your tuner card) is not something supported by the mainline versions of XBMC at this time. If you hunt around the forum you'll find some pre-compiled Windows binaries for the PVR branch but simply installing them will not allow you to use your tuner card. You will need some type of PVR backend software like VDR, Mediaportal, Tvheadend or Mythtv to actually do the recording and XBMC can act like a frontend to this software with the correct addon installed. If you are wanting to use Windows as the OS your only choice for the recording software may be Mediaportal. To my knowledge the others require a Linux machine to use.
Thanks robweber... I actually had found the pages that TechLife pointed me to but I was hoping that these services (netflix and DVR) were more intergrated into xbmc at least as an add-on. I looked into xbmc a year or so ago and I really like the interface but I am quite disappointed that there is no netflix and tv tuner card support still at this point. I am afraid that that is a deal breaker for me. I will just stick with Windows MC and check back in a year or so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC - Need help0