Audio output through HDMI AND optical
I have my (new) ATV2 connected to my Cambridge Audio receiver via optical. My receiver has no HDMI support.

The HDMI cable from the ATV goes straight to my TV.

This is actually quite a convenient arrangement anyway - when the kids switch on, they just watch through the TV. I however often put the receiver on and I just turn down the volume on the TV with my Harmony remote. Works a treat.

However, many of my files have comressed AAC soundtracks. My receiver cannot decode these into 5.1. So, to get 5.1, in the system settings I have Audio Output set to Optical.

Unfortunately, this means I just get noise over the HDMI connection to the TV. In order to get clean sound over HDMI, I need to set it to analog....but then I don't get 5.1 from the receiver.

Is there any way I can achieve my aims of 5.1 from optical and clean sound through HDMI at the same time?
not possible..
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:not possible..

Oh poo.

Would a more modern receiver, that does HDMI standby pass through, allow me to achieve this? In other words, I would have my ATV connected to the receiver via HDMI, and then an HDMI to the TV. When the receiver is in standby, it would pass through a clear (analog) audio signal to the TV. But if I switch the receiver on, the receiver would play the 5.1 audio. I'm not sure what this feature is called - I guess some receivers must allow this?

(I'm working toward justifying a new receiver here Big Grin)
i would be interested in an answer / solution to this too

Same issue - Amp has no HDMI so ATV2 --> optical--> amp and ATV2 --> HMDI --> TV

if set audio to 5.1 in atv2 then amp gets 5.1 audio but tv gets static

if i set analog then tv is fine but amp obviously then only gets analog Sad

Is a new amp with hdmi and hdmi pass through a solution?
Don't know - my amp can't passthrough... I'm allways using the amp and never the tv sound...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I'm the same as Memphiz - you would need to make sure the receiver supports passthrough when off. This is not always the case.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
had my eyes on a new amp for a while that does support passthrough - yet to convince the missus on the need but it would be good to hear if anyone with a passthrough amp can happily leave their ATV in a mode that the TV can handle as well as the amp being able to pick up 5.1?
Now it really depends on whether your TV can pick up 5.1. Most can decipher Dolby but almost none can decode DTS.

If you leave the amp on you can play what you like, but playing to a TV you will have to adjust XBMC's output to what the TV can decode.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thanks everyone...this is all very confusing, there are so many variables!

Before I take the plunge on a new amp then, what I'd need to check is that my TV can "convert" 5.1 DD (and possibly DTS) into a form it understands (probably stereo) via the HDMI.

Now, I can test this by setting the ATV2 to output DD over HDMI and connect directly to th.e TV . So, how do I adjust the settings in System to give 5.1 over HDMI? (And remember, it's 5.1 from AAC files as most of my files seem to be AAC). That page on the settings is a bit confusing.
same as you setup 5.1 for your amp. The output option (optical or hdmi) has no effect on apple tv2 . Basically whatever option ypu select - it will allways output on both at the same time with the same format.
Memphiz Wrote:same as you setup 5.1 for your amp. The output option (optical or hdmi) has no effect on apple tv2 . Basically whatever option ypu select - it will allways output on both at the same time with the same format.

However, as far as I can tell from these forums and my own trials, you need to set the output to optical in order to force XBMC/ATV to output AAC files as 5.1, rather than stereo.
(Ignore - I was wrong - I thought I had it sorted )
Does anyone know that if with the new Audio Engine in Frodo this has changed ?

Ie. can I send different formats out optical and hdmi with an atv2 now ?

Thanks,

Roy
I don't believe so

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio output through HDMI AND optical0