• 43(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
(2012-08-15, 04:21)DDDamian Wrote: @Ace - you are mostly correct - the return value is in 100ns units, and the conversion to seconds does require that division. My dev branch includes that fix and one more: the result should be multiplied by 2x as there are actually two buffers of that duration which are filled prior to playback actually starting - this is contrary to Microsofts' descriptions on MSDN, but I have verified it via a somewhat complex tracking of the actual hardware buffer pointers with other development code. Further comments & details on GitHub in the PR mentioned above.

I'm a bit concerned if that is sufficient. Using the old conversion the crash happened within seconds, if not instantly.
With the new one it happened within minutes. Maybe the old conv. led to a higher frequency of calling GetCurrentPadding(...) and therefore increased the chance of calling GetBuffer(...) and GetCurrentPadding(...) at the same time, which leads to a crash.

So maybe your return value only reduces this chance?
But you are way more into this stuff than me, what do you think?
(2012-08-15, 03:10)Senthil Wrote:
(2012-08-14, 09:10)PatrickBateman Wrote: 3.XBMC Official nightly builds... there has been so many changes for good compared to the previous builds.

And what revision is the most stable nightly to get? Smile

well! get the most recent one. all those builds with AE has one or other issue but assuming the most recent nightly has all the fixes merged and should be stable for most people... Blush

Most say alpha 4 is unstable and doesn't work well at all?

I wouldn't normally ask such questions, but as AE is only really required on my main HTPC (not my test bed) which is hooked up to my Denon AVR and my 9.2 system I'm a tad reluctant to sit on the edge of the blade! If there is a stable build (from a few weeks ago) I'd use this as a start for my testing on my main HTPC and then move forward from there as at least I would still have basic functionality Smile

From the general consensus the opinion of most users is that alpha 3 is the most stable currently. If this is the case, I'll try this and can then work forward and report back any findings to Damian and Gnif etc... I just didn't want to fire on alpha 4, have an knowingly unstable version in use and scupper any chances at watching movies and be reporting back issues that the guys were already aware of in the process.

I'll drop on alpha 3, test this version, if all is well, I'll move to alpha 4 and report back where any bugs appear between the 2 versions.

Nice to see Damians back though Big Grin
(2012-08-14, 09:10)PatrickBateman Wrote: Most say alpha 4 is unstable and doesn't work well at all?

I wouldn't normally ask such questions, but as AE is only really required on my main HTPC (not my test bed) which is hooked up to my Denon AVR and my 9.2 system I'm a tad reluctant to sit on the edge of the blade! If there is a stable build (from a few weeks ago) I'd use this as a start for my testing on my main HTPC and then move forward from there as at least I would still have basic functionality Smile

From the general consensus the opinion of most users is that alpha 3 is the most stable currently. If this is the case, I'll try this and can then work forward and report back any findings to Damian and Gnif etc... I just didn't want to fire on alpha 4, have an knowingly unstable version in use and scupper any chances at watching movies and be reporting back issues that the guys were already aware of in the process.

I'll drop on alpha 3, test this version, if all is well, I'll move to alpha 4 and report back where any bugs appear between the 2 versions.

Nice to see Damians back though Big Grin

Sounds like good plan to me and yes good to see Damians back!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality !
The Big Issue I am running into is switching from my XBMC to my regular tv and then back. It seems to loose the audio device and I have to restart XBMC to get it back. Does anyone know anyway to fix this?
(2012-08-15, 12:38)PatrickBateman Wrote: Nice to see Damians back though Big Grin

Hear hear. I am glad he seems to be back and is okay; his AE work is always great to follow.
@ace20022 - responded in more detail on the PR, but essentially the issue is more due to some recent changes by non-Win devs (for good reasons, just they didn't have Win platforms for testing). It's not really a conversion issue at all. The changes made by others were for consistencies' sake with how the two players define those return values clashing with some "legacy" code from when I first wrote the sink and we supported WASAPI's shared mode. But I'll take care of the fix shortly.

@jetskijoe - would need a few more details about what you're doing there. You switch HDMI to a TV then to an AVR? Pls describe your setup a bit more.

@Senthil, patrickbateman, ralob and everyone - thanks Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@DDDamian...

I have my TV setup with HDMI that runs straight to my Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1-Channel Home Theater System as the Out. With 3 HDMI feeds into the Onkyo my (XBMC, dvdplayer, and Cable). I use my Onkyo to switch between all 3. As long as I start up my XBMC first and don't change to any of the other feeds everything works great using WASAPI. As soon as I switch to Cable or dvdplayer and then switch back to XBMC. XBMC freezes or stutters and will not play at all. If I restart my XBMC everything seems to work fine. It is acting as if the Onkyo is turning the HDMI off and XBMC doesn't know what to do when it comes back on. Sorry if this is confusing. Please let me know what I can provide to help. I can get you a debug log of when this happens but I didn't see anything in the log.
@jetskijoe - I do recall this being an issue prior to AE being merged with master and I provided a fix then which basically handled any timeouts gracefully. This was necessary as AE would be continuously sending audio streams (yes, even when silent) and with no audio going out to AVR it would stall the actual output routines. Sounds like some more recent changes have overridden this behaviour.

Certainly a full debug log would help. Please let me know the Windows time when you switch your AVR - will help me locate where in the log the issue happens.

Cheers, Damian
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Everyone - sorry for the absence. Without going into details I was a little unhappy with how certain things got handled post-merge, and had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development. As the merge went forward gnif and I had already begun developing the second release of AE.

It's been two months since that pull request was submitted PR #1074 including DSP's and many fixes to the initial AE release.

Some of that code has made it into master (primarily fixes, thx Memphiz and Davilla) but it seems a few things were broken along the way as well.

It will take me some time to reconcile my dev branch with current master due to these changes, but I will likely continue with AE development. First is to get a few more fixes in such as the freezing issue reported by ace20022 and others, then with the feature packs like DSPs and user-defined channel mapping. That said, I don't want it to consume as much real-world time as the huge effort prior to the merge.

Gnif is taking some time away from programming and that left me as the sole developer for AE; a job which got a little demanding when trying to support the users here as well.

So while I'll pick up where I left off again, forgive me if at times I have to balance the dev time with the support time - just not enough hours in the day lol.

Anyways - if some of you thread veterans care to give a summary of current issues that would be helpful.

Cheers, Damian
(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: Everyone - sorry for the absence. Without going into details I was a little unhappy with how certain things got handled post-merge, and had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development. As the merge went forward gnif and I had already begun developing the second release of AE.

It's been two months since that pull request was submitted PR #1074 including DSP's and many fixes to the initial AE release.

Some of that code has made it into master (primarily fixes, thx Memphiz and Davilla) but it seems a few things were broken along the way as well.

It will take me some time to reconcile my dev branch with current master due to these changes, but I will likely continue with AE development. First is to get a few more fixes in such as the freezing issue reported by ace20022 and others, then with the feature packs like DSPs and user-defined channel mapping. That said, I don't want it to consume as much real-world time as the huge effort prior to the merge.

Gnif is taking some time away from programming and that left me as the sole developer for AE; a job which got a little demanding when trying to support the users here as well.

So while I'll pick up where I left off again, forgive me if at times I have to balance the dev time with the support time - just not enough hours in the day lol.

Anyways - if some of you thread veterans care to give a summary of current issues that would be helpful.

Cheers, Damian

Hey Damian,

Really glad you're back and carrying on with AE. The work and time you have given to date is great! Wink

Only issue i have (using Frodo Alpha 3) is that wasapi is locking out audio when using external players. For example, i'm using Arcsoft TMT for 3D playback.

Is exclusive mode a requirement for HD audio bitstreaming? I believe there used to an option to enable/disable exclusive mode. Would resurecting that be a solution?

I've got a feeling this will be a major bug report on Frodo release, as obviously external players are widely used.

Cheers again for your dev and support time! Keep your chin up buddy.

Many thanks
Which nightly build was the first to have the freezing problem?
(2012-08-17, 23:21)liquidskin76 Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 22:45)DDDamian Wrote: Everyone - sorry for the absence. Without going into details I was a little unhappy with how certain things got handled post-merge, and had to think long and hard about the time I was investing in development. As the merge went forward gnif and I had already begun developing the second release of AE.

Cheers, Damian

Hey Damian,

Really glad you're back and carrying on with AE. The work and time you have given to date is great! Wink

Only issue i have (using Frodo Alpha 3) is that wasapi is locking out audio when using external players. For example, i'm using Arcsoft TMT for 3D playback.

Is exclusive mode a requirement for HD audio bitstreaming? I believe there used to an option to enable/disable exclusive mode. Would resurecting that be a solution?

I've got a feeling this will be a major bug report on Frodo release, as obviously external players are widely used.

Cheers again for your dev and support time! Keep your chin up buddy.

Many thanks
Glad to see you back Damian, no need for any type of apology here. As reported by everyone the exclusive mode locking is the main issue which is happening even with the XBMC players. If XBMC is on, I can't switch and hear anything that is streaming thru the browser.

Additional issues that I noticed are that DTS / AC3 streams (not the DTS-HD / Dolby TrueHD) are not decoding.

Log is available at http://pastebin.com/7Arx5XiG

THIS ONE IS DVD ripped to mkv not working
17:23:41 T:3624 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: J:\Movies\English Movies\Gladiator.1992.dvd\Gladiator.1992.DVD.mkv
This one is bluray with DTS-HD ripped to mkv (WORKING FINE)
17:24:28 T:3624 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: J:\Movies\English Movies\Contagion.BluRay\Contagion.BluRay.mkv
This one is bluray with DTS ripped to mkv
17:25:05 T:3624 DEBUG: CGUIWindowVideoBase::OnPlayMedia J:\Movies\Tamil Movies\Chandramukhi.BDRip\Chandramukhi.BDRip.mkv

thanks

Just thought i would post this i'm having problems playing music when setting Wasapi HDMI in Audio output device it just sticks and XBMC crashes but if i set it to Directsound HDMI it will play ok all this is whilst having Passthrough output device set to Wasapi HDMI, but movies seem to play (or at least the ones i've watched of late) fine with both set to Wasapi HDMI. Don't know if this has already been posted or not. Glad to see you back Damian you've help me so much in the past with AE. Cheers
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

ok after a bit more testing scratch the bit about movies playing fine anything with Dolby or DTS audio plays slowly and stutters like crazy
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

• 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3